≑ Menu

Utilities to use Gmail Space as Google Drive

Gmail

Gmail is really famous among users of all the email clients available on the web and that is not because it has a cool interface rather it is famous for its reliability and huge space (3GB now thats something). Google doesn’t stop here and recently Google announced that users can now buy more online storage for Google services just by paying a little amount. So why not use this online storage space and use it externally (Probably as a network drive or one of your own computer hard drives).

Use Google Storage Space as Google Drive

Here I have some great little utilities (3 softwares and 2 web scripts) that you can try to use your Gmail account space as your external hard drive. You will be able to download (or should I say copy) attachments from your Gmail account to your computer just as you would do from a drive on your computer. You can also use this space to upload content direct from your computer and save it online in your Gmail account.

1. GMail Drive

Gmail Drive

GMail Drive is third party addon for Windows that lets you use your Gmail account space as an extra drive on your computer. It allows a user to access a virtual drive stored in a Gmail e-mail account by causing the contents of the Gmail account to appear as a new network share on the user’s workstation. In order to use this add-on, the user needs a Gmail e-mail account. The add-on enables the user to use the standard Windows desktop file copy and paste commands to transfer files to and from the Gmail account as if it was a drive on the user’s computer.

Download GMail Drive

2. GSpace

gspacelogo.png

GSpace is a firefox extension that turns your 3GB of your Gmail account into free online storage. With Gspace you can manage unlimited Gmail accounts to store all type of files within its simple, user friendly interface. You can also listen your favourite stored music directly from your Gspace, view your collections of pictures and manage your Gdrive files as well.

Download GSpace

3. GmailFS

GmailFS or Gmail File System is a virtual file system developed by Richard Jones which allows users to mount and use their Gmail email account’s storage as a local disk drive. GmailFS is written for Linux, but Windows and Mac OS X ports do exist. Using GmailFS will provide the user with roughly three gigabytes of online storage. The speed of this filesystem is limited by the speed of the user’s Internet connection, and the upload/download speed of the Gmail server. Files can be any size, and are stored as (segmented) attachments.

Download GmailFS

4. G-Share

G Share

G-Share is a PHP script that allows you to share your gmail attachments in a webpage, it is a download center with files stored in your Gmail account. You need a MySQL database to store data such as download counters, visitors, etc

Download G-Share

5. PHP Gmail DriveΒ

php-gmail-drive.gif

PhpGmailDrive, also known as PGD, is an open source software program written in PHP to share Gmail file attachments on the web. PGD is based on GmailFS, a Gmail attachment file system that uses email subjects for organization.

Download PGD

Comments

comments

• Rishi August 11, 2007, 2:48 pm

I have used GmailDrive for a while and it was good. But a question – using these third party softwares doesn’t give threat to your Gmail security? They made lead to spamming and password stealing or key logging also?

• Shankar Ganesh August 11, 2007, 4:23 pm

I think I’ll try the Firefox Extension listed there.
    I have a question as well: Is it possible for Google to terminate our account if we use such tools πŸ˜‰

• Voxsar Dharamage December 20, 2011, 11:37 am

• DiggLife August 11, 2007, 8:02 pm

I have used GmailDrive for a long time. That’s a very useful uploader.

• Dj Flush August 12, 2007, 8:29 am

Rishi You have a really nice point there. Yes using third party softwares may lead to spamming, password stealing or key logging but then again you must remember that this is happens with almost every third party software πŸ™‚

Shankar Ganesh I am not sure but I read on Wikipedia perhaps that some of them may break the Google TOS and some of them even comply with it.

• Sukanta August 14, 2007, 7:00 am

why not just use live space drive? That way u don’t have to install 3 party app, though it only gives you 500mb of space

• Dj Flush August 14, 2007, 10:08 am

Yeh you are right but Windows Live Space Drive or Windows SkyDrive does not have a Windows app yet to access and manage files online πŸ™‚

More of the fact that it only gives you 500mb space whereas Gmail gives you a whole 3 GB πŸ˜€

• finnsonc November 22, 2007, 7:26 am

Where is the windows port for gmailFS that is mentioned above?

• Dj Flush November 23, 2007, 11:32 pm

Gmail Drive is itself a Windows port for GmailFS.

• finnsonc November 24, 2007, 4:33 am

Yes but, the upload is limited in Gmail Drive. In gmailFS it says it isn’t.

• Dean June 20, 2008, 7:55 pm

SkyDrive I am sure is offering 5GM free storage now, I checked their website. I don’t even have a Windows Live email account, I can use SkyDrive with my Gmail account I use for Messenger, but the way they are doing their login looks very good, I think it will bring people back to Windows Live Mail (I hope Google bring out something good soon, I like my Gmail account).

• Gerrit Erasmus July 28, 2008, 7:43 pm

From the Google website: Using third party software applications that interact with Gmail directly violates the Terms of Use that all users must agree to before creating a Gmail address.

So, yes, you could have your account suspended for using any of these programs.

• smtariqsultan January 19, 2010, 6:58 am

Dear administrator,

I am just visiting the site for used of online drive to avail the on line facility also would like to know that it could be enhance from 3GB or not for me if it could be enhance from the limited assigned quota, for me till 1TB.
    I will be very thank full to you for this act of kindness and hope for the positive reply from your side.

Regards.