Quickly Resize Photos and Images in Windows Vista

I am using Windows Vista now a days as a secondary operating system. It is really cool and provides a lot of more built-in functions than Windows XP but at some points it just fails to amuse me.

Take today for instance, I logged in to my user account on Windows Vista and was talking to a friend on IM about the new LG Widescreen 19 inch LCD monitor that I recently purchased and he wanted me to take some pictures of it and send it to him.

I took some snapshots of my new monitor (each snapshot was about 2MB big in size) and wanted to resize and email them to my friend but I was horrified to realize that Windows Vista does not have a built-in resizing tool. After peeking here and there I finally came up with a little trick to resize photos and images in Windows Vista quickly.

1. Open the image or photo file that you want to resize and click on the email button on top
    email-vista-resize.png
  2. On the Attach Files popup, choose the desired resolution and size
    resize-image-vista.png
  3. Enter your name, email and add any dummy data to the email server configuration and press next (You will only have to do it once). If you do not see these options simply skip to the next step.
  4. Righ click on the image in the attachment and click Open
    open-image-vista.png
  5. Once the image is open click the File menu button click Copy. Paste it to your desktop and there you have a resized copy of your original image.

If you think the procedure is long, try getting a third part addon for image resizing. Though once you get used to it, it will seem quick and easy.

Comments

comments

• Madhur Kapoor March 24, 2008, 4:38 am

I generally prefer Microsoft Office Image Editor

• Dj Flush March 24, 2008, 7:56 am

I prefer the same and it is very easy to use too but when you have just installed a fresh copy of Windows and have no alternative of resizing images then this trick helps the best.

• Hassan March 28, 2008, 10:43 pm

hey hi there i agree there a few glitches and complication on vista but i would prefer to use photoshop and online tools.

• Rick November 8, 2008, 6:56 pm

This same function was available in XP since 2001 and better implemented. XP also had the extremely useful resize Powertoy.

• JD January 21, 2009, 5:50 pm

awesome tip!!! well explained!

• KarlS March 4, 2009, 8:56 am

Sorry, but these slow work arounds are garbage when you are trying to resize multiple pictures at once. How Vista ever left for market is truly a sham.

• Ken Chevy May 28, 2009, 8:48 am

I have to agree with Rick and KarlS. With the XP PowerToy you can hi-lite a hundred photos and click, click… and watch it work…

In Vista you would be there resizing for HOURS. Stupid software people working on Vista must NOT use Vista. Why they take things OUT of a program I have no idea. Trying to make it more worthless like an Apple so you will only use it for one or two things at the most?

Glad I only have 4 photos to do or I would copy them on the Lan to an XP machine and do them all at once.

• JT June 4, 2009, 4:11 pm

I used this way just now. Thanks. Also noticed that it is easy to drag the photos from the draft email onto a new folder opened in pictures if you shrink the email and new folder windows to sit beside one another (easier than opening each one). Took a second per photo!

• JT June 4, 2009, 4:15 pm

Forgot to explain that I did a whole folder at once by hitting contol+a and then “email” and resize as suggested so they were all in the one email.

• NAdia June 19, 2009, 6:54 pm

If you need to resize multiple pictures at once or only one picture, this is a VERY useful and incredibly SIMPLE tool which works on 2000, XP and VISTA 🙂
    Simply install the program and then In the OPTIONS you can choose the program to:
    – create new folder with the resized images in the same folder where your pictures are;
    – make completely new directory or
    – simply put another copy in the same folder
    You can choose the size and the quality.
    Then simply drag the image or imageS you want to resize to the “drop files here”, the program starts automatically. At the end (very fast) it will even show you the approximate time for resizing each picture.

ENJOY !

• Della Mitchell October 31, 2009, 4:00 am

I have outlook as my email and not windows mail so when I click on attach it does not bring me to my email, not sure where my resized picture goes. Help!

• Barry December 1, 2009, 1:36 am

I tried it, and I like it. Very quick. Thanks so much.

• Barry December 1, 2009, 6:36 am

I tried it, and I like it. Very quick. Thanks so much.

• Beetlebailey60 February 22, 2011, 7:55 am

HI when I click the attach button nothing happens ,I thought my email was going to open with the selected pic attached but nothing happens ,any ideas ?