TinEye, Find Reverse Image Duplicates on the Web

TinEye is a new revolutionary web 2.0 image search engine by IDEE that lets you search the web for images with an image. More clearly I would say, TinEye does for Images what Google does for text. Here is how it works.

You give TinEye an image by either uploading it or providing its URL on the web. TinEye searches the web for images that highly match the image you have provided in terms of pixels and gives you results in descending order of their relevancy.

Basically it helps you find image duplicates on the web by providing you location of each and every copy of image found. Alternatively, TinEye can be used to find high quality versions of a specific image. The great thing is that it also detects and displays image alterations in the search results. For example I used TinEye to search the web for the Mona Lisa image on the right.

Surprisingly, TinEye even found altered forms of the Mona Lisa image and displayed them in the search results.

TinEye is currently in a Private Beta and has indexed over 500,000,000 images. It even has a Firefox plugin which makes searching for images on the web as easy as a pie. Below you can see a live video demo of TinEye:

Free TinEye Invites

IDEE is giving free TinEye invites to some Sizlopedia readers so if you want to get your invite, just tell me why do you think TinEye will stand out among all other image search engines in the comments below.

I will hand-select some of the best comments and they can go image-hunting right away!

• PixlNinja June 1, 2008, 1:18 am

I can haz an Invite ! please Dj…Invite me too!

IDEE engine may be the best image comparison engine on the web…Using by Big Daddy Site like Digg, Adobe etc.

http://featherpot.com :)

• Rockstar Sid June 1, 2008, 1:30 am

Hey even I wrote about them, Got approved and also have Firefox extension (only for members)

Also their management team sent me a warm welcome which I did in the review.

I have used their facility…they are adding more and more images everyday :-)

Here is the review – http://d95.com/e2ad

• Chris June 1, 2008, 1:42 am

This would be a great service for Bloggers. To help them find people who have used their own images without permission, and I am one of those Bloggers!

• Madhur Kapoor June 1, 2008, 2:24 am

It is a great tool to find similar images and you can also check whether someone is copying your images or not.

• Jennifer June 1, 2008, 8:15 am

I think it will because it’s a really good site to, as Chris said earlier, help you find images, whether that people took them without permission, or heck, what if you get an image for something or from a friend, but really want to know the artist or you get an image of someone, but have no idea anything else about them and need to know for a project?

All of these are things TinEye can really help with. Plus, for artists out there, it could even help slim down art thieves which I bet would make a lot of them proud.

• mohsen June 1, 2008, 10:00 am

i think it easy to finde what photo you looking for it.and to know how many of them is on internet..and pepole going to love it thats whay i think it foing to sant up in image search engines.send me invait plz tnx

(love sizlopedia.com)

• linker009 June 2, 2008, 1:40 am

I just got accepted for their beta, and already its looking fantastic :) I guess its probably just luck that I was accepted 😛

• Ewan June 10, 2008, 7:43 am

This is pretty awesome. A lot of people take my pictures online and claim them as their own. A LOT of fakes are out there. This helps all the teens online stay safe from imposters and fakers. Not only that but it kicks serious butt when it comes to figuring out who stole peoples art and photographs and such without the persons permission. Tineye is gonna help make the internet some what safer now.

• Ju June 19, 2008, 4:45 pm

Well, this is just a comment to get an invite 😉

But, the way I would use it is to watch over news website.

They often use images to illustrate their articles. They sometimes modify slightly the image so it better serves their story. Those modifications can be done by cropping or adding a little element to the picture. So Tineye would be a great way to find the original image and get the real picture.

• Mia December 24, 2008, 5:06 pm

Very interesting and useful program. It helps to identify if the pictures used on different forums are genuine and really belongs to the user or “borrowed”
    I would love to have this program…

• bekgardner February 17, 2010, 3:38 am

This software would be a fantastic college and university application. Professors are always providing links to useless material with great images and we're stuck with no way to learn about all the material associated with them. Now, we can know where he/she got those images and go find out all about them for ourselves! This is great!

• azulemariolu April 21, 2010, 5:07 pm

Because TinEye uses a reverse search technique. For a quick analogy, if you were searching for the lyrics of a song, you typed some of the words…so it would follow that if you were searching for an image, you should have an image for comparison. I'm not savvy with internet image search engines, but I think TinEye is the only one that uses this technique on a web 2.o platforn..so it's the future of the internet.

• Mich June 13, 2010, 11:10 am

This idea could be brilliant if taken further, that is if the program is able to dig through all on-line product catalogues out there on the web. Many buyers like myself find themselves with unidentifiable products to find on line in the course of their work. Those products are often without brand names, part numbers, etc., except for a picture of it. If it can find altered, rotated and similar pictures of products and find the relevant suppliers you're going to be famous ! It could become the search tool of the future no self-respecting buyer would be without, including millions of internet users trying to find specific products with only pictures used as a search criteria.

Kind regards

• Lee Jasmin9 July 21, 2010, 6:12 am

Please Pick ME!
    I would love to use this so much it would help me and its a great time saver. If i can't have an invite can i please at least use it once? Because I have this picture on my computer that i got from the Internet and I NEED to find the source! this is just the exact type of software i need. I hope to hear good news, thank you.

• myimage March 1, 2011, 9:10 am

A lot of webmaster use the image with permission. And this one can solves this kind of problem. Well done

• engagement rings April 11, 2012, 11:15 am

• Volio November 6, 2012, 8:21 pm

Obviously i can find pictures of the girl i like…