Unlock the Firmware 3.0 with Redsnow on iPhone 2G

Good news for the iPhone 2G folks is that the iPhone Dev Team has released a new version of Redsnow which now works to Jailbreak and Unlock the iPhone 2G and also the iPod Touch.

As compared to PwnageTool, Redsnow is a much powerful and easy-to-use utility to Unlock the iPhone 2G and works both on Windows and Mac. The latest Redsnow is now capable to Unlock the iPhone 2G running on Firmware 3.0.

To unlock the Firmware 3.0 on iPhone 2G with Redsnow, follow the instructions:

1. Download the Redsnow tool (For Win | For Mac)
  2. Extract the archive and run the utility.
  3. Grab the iPhone Firmware 3.0 for your corresponding device.
  4. Also download the bootloader files, bl39.bin and bl46.bin
  5. Proceed with the on-screen instructions on the utility.
  6. Enter DFU mode and restore to Unlock.

Thats pretty much all of it. If you are simply planning to Jailbreak an iPod Touch, you will need the corresponding firmware and bootloader files are not required. For an alternative, also check out our hack on manually Unlocking the Firmware 3.0 for iPhone 2G.

Note: The above method even works to Jailbreak an iPhone 3G but it won’t be able to Unlock it until Ultrasnow for Firmware 3.0 is released offiicially.

• whel June 20, 2009, 11:41 pm

Thanks for this.My iPhone 2G has now the latest OS 3.0 & its jailbroken.I used Redsnow.It works perfectly.Too bad the MMS feature on iPhone 3G doesn’t work for iPhone 2G but it’s ok,i’m happy with the added features.Just one question,does Winterboard works on this one?For themes purposes?Can i also install Winterboard using Cydia just like i did when my OS is 2.0.2?Thanks again!

• abood June 21, 2009, 9:11 am

thank you brother saad i will let you know if the unlock software work. the only question i have you did not say that one must update the phone first before unlocking the phone.

• franklin June 21, 2009, 1:20 pm

Thank you so much !

It works like hell (and I m in heaven hehe )

Thanks again

• rod June 28, 2009, 5:43 pm

what is the different beetween this 2 programs redsnow n ultrasnow? can this two programs can jailbreak my iphone 2g…

• Gr33k0 July 7, 2009, 9:52 pm

Nah…redsnow is the jailbreaking utility for apple software version 3.0. Ultrasnow, though I haven’t tried it personally, is the unlocking utility for the 3.0 software version, which will allow you to use another network sim (e.g. T-Mobile). Peace.

• rajesh_17321 June 29, 2009, 8:55 am

Thanks Dear i will try n tell u results soon. Hoping that will be work.

• Ok June 30, 2009, 5:50 am

How do you unzip redsnow?

• J-Cap July 1, 2009, 1:03 pm

I used a program called 7zip (great prog BTW) and extracted it to the same folder and was good to go. 7zip is free by the way and will not only zip and unzip, but extract zipped content and rar's.

• etroy July 2, 2009, 6:15 am

can somebody help me I have 2g iphone my problem is i cannot unlock the os 3.0 from the redsnow 0.7.1 what should i do?

• boyaso July 5, 2009, 1:45 pm

sell ur iphone to me hehe! i cant jailbreak my iphone 2g aswell it just hangs on the jailbreak process with redsnow

• Gr33k0 July 7, 2009, 9:55 pm

Use “ultrasnow” sir. Redsnow is for jailbreaking 3.0, ultrasnow is for unlocking. Peace.

• funkysy July 2, 2009, 7:46 pm

hi can someone help i’ve downloaded redsnow run it and bootloader for the iphone 2g follew the on screens and it hasn’t jailbroken it, now it only lets you do emergency calls only and show the pictures of the itunes conection plug and no pineapple please help

• etroy July 2, 2009, 11:15 am

• homepixels July 3, 2009, 1:46 pm

I tried to open redsnow in windows but it keeps asking me for a password to unzip… am I doing something wrong? or does anyone know where I can acquire the “unzip password” thank you

• troj July 7, 2009, 11:18 pm

nice one, perfectly done….keep it up guys…

• Michael July 21, 2009, 1:21 am

Whay the firmware 3.0 to 2g is a zip file
    what happened to *.*ipsw???

• Gwen July 23, 2009, 3:53 am

Can someone plz tell me which 3.0 firmware I need for my iphone 2G, and where do I find it…?
    I am not very computer-lit, and need the easiest step by step method available… I also need the jailbreak for my 3G also.
    My 2G has already been upgraded to 3.0… Just need to know how to jailbreak it… Have not been able to get redsnow downloaded. I keep getting only the torrent files…???
    Any feedback is greatly appreciated…….g

• Smartperson August 3, 2009, 1:48 am

Hi all, to answer everybodys questions and I really mean everyone included…so to solve the problem simply go to youtube and type how to jailbreak the iphone whichever virsion you need…instead of trying to get wtf is goin on…you can just watch the video and follow instruction as you go. Simple, fast, youtube for mayor bitch.

• Leo blogger August 19, 2009, 12:01 am

hey saad that really helped alot, thank you soo much.

• dave August 24, 2009, 8:58 pm

is ther any bugs at all and are you able to restore iphone 2g after doing this?

• dave August 25, 2009, 1:58 am

is ther any bugs at all and are you able to restore iphone 2g after doing this?

• unkownfghgfh September 18, 2009, 7:43 pm

there are risks and yes to restore you just need to plug ur ipod into your pc and then go onto itunes and then click on eg “Dave's Ipod” and there should be restor buttom which resets your ipod as if it were just out of the box.

• pleasehelpme October 2, 2009, 8:14 pm

Ughh i did this on a non activated iphone 2g and when it got done it just showed the connect to itunes =( i thought this would let me skip activation but i guess not

• pipnumberone November 1, 2009, 12:23 pm

same here mate :( but when u activate it will it be jailbroken??

• jake157345 December 28, 2009, 6:28 pm

you need to turn off iphone and hold power for 3 seconds (sloww counting) without letting go hold home button for 10 seconds with it and after ten seconds let go of power and hold home for 30 this is the final step to jail break if not done exactly jail break fails anyway after you do all the re run red snow or what ever jail break you use and i should fix the promble

hope i helped

• Atra Nigiaka October 4, 2009, 7:50 pm

its no work on me,,,,T.T

• ahmedsaad December 27, 2009, 1:10 am

• Anthony January 16, 2010, 10:55 pm

did all the steps and been in downloading jailbreak data.. for a while..anything??

• slyaii January 20, 2010, 10:27 am

I am wondering if there is a clean jailbreaking app to go to firmware 3.1.2 with iphone…i have a 2G, and I used Blackrain to upgrade to 3.1.2….but…there's always a but…when you hold down the power button and slide to shut down your iphone….and restart will crash. meaning, if you ever run out of battery or shut down your phone, it will not restart. I would love it if rainSnow does a 3.1.2 firmware, but it cannot.

• xaj February 1, 2010, 8:08 am

it does not take my t-mobile sim

• xaj February 1, 2010, 1:08 pm

it does not take my t-mobile sim

• clueless June 4, 2010, 12:58 am

im stuck wit redsnow. i click browsing and click the specific file, but it only says unable to recognize IPSW. help please

• adyn July 31, 2010, 11:16 am

i am haven issues…after i do it all and it says successfully downloaded and it goes to restart it gets stuck at the apple icon..how do i fix this?

• tavitoww August 3, 2010, 9:00 am