Good news for the iPhone 2G folks is that the iPhone Dev Team has released a new version of Redsnow which now works to Jailbreak and Unlock the iPhone 2G and also the iPod Touch.
As compared to PwnageTool, Redsnow is a much powerful and easy-to-use utility to Unlock the iPhone 2G and works both on Windows and Mac. The latest Redsnow is now capable to Unlock the iPhone 2G running on Firmware 3.0.
To unlock the Firmware 3.0 on iPhone 2G with Redsnow, follow the instructions:
- Download the Redsnow tool (For Win | For Mac)
- Extract the archive and run the utility.
- Grab the iPhone Firmware 3.0 for your corresponding device.
- Also download the bootloader files, bl39.bin and bl46.bin
- Proceed with the on-screen instructions on the utility.
- Enter DFU mode and restore to Unlock.
Thats pretty much all of it. If you are simply planning to Jailbreak an iPod Touch, you will need the corresponding firmware and bootloader files are not required. For an alternative, also check out our hack on manually Unlocking the Firmware 3.0 for iPhone 2G.
Note: The above method even works to Jailbreak an iPhone 3G but it won’t be able to Unlock it until Ultrasnow for Firmware 3.0 is released offiicially.