Fix “Unable to recognize specified IPSW” Error in Redsn0w 0.9.5 with iOS 4

Earlier we posted a tutorial on how to jailbreak iOS 4 on iPhone 3G with Redsn0w 0.9.5. While the tutorial seems to work just fine, a couple of users have reported to have encountered an error.

The error, which says “Unable to recognize specified IPSW” keeps popping up whenever a user tries to browse the iOS 4 firmware file from Redsn0w 0.9.5.

There are two solutions to fix this error. Number 1 is to make sure that the right build of Redsn0w is being used, which in thise case should be Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5. Download Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5 for Mac or Windows

Number 2 is to make sure that the right build of the iOS 4 firmware file is being used for iPhone 3G. There may be a confusion here since both the Goldmaster (GM build) and Final release use the same build number so filename for both builds would be the same i.e. iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw but Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-4 would only be able to verify the Final release of iOS 4 firmware so make sure to download it from a verified and trustworthy source. Here we have verified iOS 4 firmware file download links for all devices.

That’s it! all it takes is a bit of research and common sense. Good luck!

Comments

comments

• Fico June 24, 2010, 5:26 am

I downloaded the file IPSW from your link and are still having the same issue. The link for the redsn0w download on the page above does not work. Can you please help

• Dutchmazter June 25, 2010, 12:46 pm

Use windows 7

• Angelo Geels June 29, 2010, 7:12 pm

Doesn't work for me either, I'm on Windows 7, even tried Admin mode.

• Noone June 13, 2011, 6:42 am

But i have windows 7 FAIL

• Knightriddler June 24, 2010, 8:11 am

Same deal. Downloaded the exact ipsw specified from the links provided, but redsn0w cannot recognize the ipsw. Also, the redsn0w download link is nix.

• robbo June 25, 2010, 7:08 am

Pretty useless advice. The latest Redsn0w doesn't recognize the IOS 4.0 for 3gs firmware, period.

• Y2kanani June 25, 2010, 11:01 am

Tried to download both the Redsn0w version you stated above & the firmware from the link specified above but nothing works

• Dutchmazter June 25, 2010, 12:47 pm

Use Windows 7.

• Dutchmazter June 25, 2010, 12:46 pm

OK. I've got the solution. After racking my brain and bricking my ipod touch 2G 6 times over the past 48 hours I know the problem. Ive been trying to do this on my laptop running Vista. I first tried updating to 4.0. After 6 hours of waiting for about 1 percent of the bar to load it dawned on me. Could this be a vista problem? So I shut down and restarted my windows 7(I have dual boot on my laptop :-) ). Ran itunes. Updated to 4.0 in about 8 minutes. On vista I wasn't able to use redsn0w either. Ran it on windows 7 and jailbroke my device in about 5 minutes. The problem is WINDOWS VISTA.

• Freakinrican1158 June 26, 2010, 2:08 am

If you have Vista, you might as well trash your computer anyways. I have XP still and it doesn't work so that doesn't help everyone lol

• Daan123455 June 26, 2010, 6:29 pm

its not the windows 7, its the first time you restore your ipod.
      the first time i restore it, i can wait for like an hour, and still nothing would be happening, but after i restart itunes, it restores in 5 minutes.

• Unit057 August 6, 2010, 11:54 am

I is true, I also use Vista and it doesn't work, but I am using Microsoft Windows XP?
      Why doesn't XP work

• Pinankv June 27, 2010, 11:15 pm

where r the links??

• jaredbeal1534 July 8, 2010, 12:33 pm

i have windows xp and i cant figure out how to make the firmware work because it just shows up as a folder with different files not just the regular cube you would see with mac or windows vista

• Vic46 September 24, 2010, 11:49 pm

hi there
      if you download with firefox it will show as the cube

• upal January 1, 2011, 2:20 pm

the file which u hav downloaded u need to rename .zip to .ipsw or downlaod it from mozilla.

• SuperDiaperEater101 July 9, 2010, 10:08 pm

When I click on Windows it says the page cannot be found. :-(

• Saad Hamid July 9, 2010, 10:37 pm

Hey folks I have fixed the links! Please download whatever version is latest

• Flashdion July 10, 2010, 3:01 am

I just downloaded both Redsn0w and the OS 4 from your links and it still gives me unable to recognize error. I am using windows XP and still not working.

• Nitinmittal13 July 16, 2010, 8:45 am

I download both files iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw but Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5 and I am still getting same old error “Unable to recognize the specified IPSW file”. I am using Windows 7.

• what should i do? July 17, 2010, 12:44 pm

doesn't fix it..
    redownloaded both redsnow and ipsw for my non-mc 2g itouch
    what should i do?

• Zico July 20, 2010, 4:29 pm

Was having the same problem as everyone else, came to this website and download the links… And suprisingly it worked, tried numerous IPSW's before coming here! Thanks

• Brandon September 6, 2010, 8:43 pm

Ditto. Other links and files didn’t seem to work for whatever reason, but these do. A couple of peole have mentioned that they aren’t able to find the ipsw file when it came time to load it into redsn0w. I was having the same problem… if you have winzip, it will automatically try to save it as a winzip file (which is useless to you). When choosing the download path, click the file extension drop down and change it to all files, then add on the .ipsw extension and redsn0w should be able to locate it then. Good luck. (FYI, I’m using Windows 7 and iPhone 3G)

• AL July 26, 2010, 12:08 pm

I have “Unable to recognize specified IPSW” on ipod.
    Tried with iPod3,1_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw

• Dtgr02 July 26, 2010, 11:30 pm

i think i found a way, it has been working so far, but it is not the same as the instructions.

1. download redsn0w_win_0.9.5b5-5 and iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore (4.0)
    2. goto itunes, update to 4.0.1
    3. run redsn0w and point to iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore, it will recognize
    4. follow the redsn0w onscreen instructions
    5. after reboot, run cydia

• Butcher Mail July 27, 2010, 2:17 am

3G or 3GS?
      Ive seen that the file names obviously differ

• wannamobiles August 31, 2010, 4:22 am

would this work on iPhone 4? doesn’t anyone know solution to iPHone4?

• Tony_sam September 29, 2010, 7:07 am

worked with me perfectly like a charm…

• el July 29, 2010, 4:16 am

when download ISPW do not click SAVE AS1 just click open with itunes, then run RS and will work

• Unit057 August 6, 2010, 12:02 pm

This is so very annoying, so basicaly I have to use WIndows 7? I will have to wait 4 days for that, shame it just doesn't work on Windows XP.

• Unit057 August 6, 2010, 12:03 pm

Wait, I have it working, I think it only fails for those who use the new iO.S 4.0.1.

It is working at last,

• Michel August 16, 2010, 8:55 pm

thank you very much! did it on a mac and worked fine for me.

• tazzmania August 17, 2010, 1:02 pm

I have the right IPSW and redsnow but I still can’t make it work.. saaad :(( it still wont recognize the ipsw

• Mhpham1200 August 24, 2010, 9:31 pm

redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5 only can read os4 4.0 will not recognized os4 4.0.1, I try on windowsxp, vista and w7.

• Tony Vito September 17, 2010, 3:36 am

…. before you browse to this file that you have downloaded, find it, rename it, give it an extension of .ipsw……. NOW when you go back and browse to it, redsn0w will recognize it and all your problems will be resolved.

• hugo acosta August 27, 2010, 3:59 am

hello – I’ve been slutting around Google trying to find exactly what you have described and linked above. It worked like a charm with no issues! Thanks heaps

• Apoe August 29, 2010, 7:19 pm

Weeeehhh … after 20 hours of trying (try and error messages) I still have the same problem as before, heaps of error messages such a “did nog recognize …) Think it’s better for me and my screen to wait for the new crack….. in the meantime I will use a phone which will work with a normal signal ….. Gosh … I’ve had it

• Albestofthe September 7, 2010, 5:30 am

I did all of that and it still doesn’t work

• Miguel8888 September 15, 2010, 4:19 am

Use the iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore and that should take care of the problem

• Lbuimin November 7, 2010, 3:34 am

iphone1.2_4.0_8A293 is for 3g.. the redsn0w regconizes it but it doesnt regnconized the one for 3gs which everyone is having the problem…

• Tony Vito September 17, 2010, 3:34 am

I found out why everyone is having problems with “file not recognized”. Other people have aluded to the correct fix for this, but they haven’t described the fix in its simplest and easiest to understand way. You are all downloading the correct “restore” file. The problem is you don’t know where to BROWSE to it. You have to find where the file is being downloaded to, find the file (it will be upwards of 250 megs)… When you find the file (you’ll probably see several of the same large files because you’ve downloaded it a few times), right click on that file – choose RENAME – and give it the extension of IPSW. NOW when you browse to it, Redsn0w will recognize it.

• Mcommins September 17, 2010, 5:37 pm

This doesn’t work on my Mac. I’ve browsed to the original iPod2,1_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw in ~username/Library/iTunes/iPod Software Updates. Still doesn’t recognize it.

• Capain Gatepost September 17, 2010, 6:46 pm

Are you serious? There’s more to this issue than not knowing where the file I spent 20 minutes downloading is located.

• Beng September 19, 2010, 10:42 am

this discussion is taking 2 months now. Is there still nog explanation why it does not work. I have also the same problem. I have a Iphone 3GS en downloaded all the things here above and nothing worked. Redsnow can’t recognize the ipsw.

• sdjklfjdslk September 24, 2010, 5:18 pm

Two parts to the solution: 1) Android 2) Verizon.

• trisquirrelon October 21, 2010, 9:56 pm

Hi unfortuantely the above mentioned steps don’t work out for me, I tried, even if I’d first have to connect the phone to iTunes, updating.
    This is because I havent found a way to carry out the step in the afor mentioned tutorial on jailbreaking. My iTunes does stubbornly tell me that the SIM card in my phone is not the right one and therefore I can not connect it to iTunes. How can I update to the latest Firmware via iTunes if it does constantly tell me that I am not allowed to do anything as long as my SIM is the wrong one?
    The step I failed to do:
    Step 2: Update to this latest firmware using the iOS file you just downloaded via iTunes 9.2.

• Archer January 15, 2011, 10:14 am

Try your firewall or anti virus had trouble doing the buisness and then thought it may be my anti virus so disabled it and waddaya know it worked perfectly

• Nitro December 1, 2010, 10:24 am

XP – JailBreaking 3G 4.0.2
    Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5 + iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw working.

Thank you.

• Best Registry Cleaner January 21, 2011, 8:41 am

I have it working.

• BackdoorGhostWorm February 10, 2011, 6:53 am

My Fix for error “Unable to recognize specified ISPW”

I searched and Searched! tried every fix posted on every site including this one! untilill Finally i went back to an old computer and tried to jailbreak with limerain, and Woila, It Worked!!!!

Iphone 32 GB IOS4.0

• Guest February 25, 2011, 9:29 am

thankyou sooo much, i had the wrong redsn0w thanks

• Suleman February 28, 2011, 1:54 pm

i used couple of firware like 4.0, 4.1, and 4.2.1 but still redsnow is illustrating the same problem of recognising the ipsw

• Velimdakane March 9, 2011, 1:49 pm

None of the above instructions work, I have downloaded all ipsw files from the Internet and I am using the latest redsn0w but it does not work. I have tried greenpo1son, I have tried limera1n, I have tried quickfreedom at no avail. I am using ipod touch 2g running 3.1 (7C144). Please help.

• 77ellie March 19, 2011, 4:26 pm

I upgraded my 3G to 4.2 with 1tunes. then useing redsn0w i applied firmware iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw and BB iPad1,1_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw,
    All looks good (Faster/smoother) for everything except the phone. Now the Phone does not work at all. It either says ‘No Sim’ or has 1-bar and will not transmit a call or text..
    Do I need to upgrade my sim card or is this a problem only with a canadian network.
    What shall I do now?

• Yaaseengamieldien March 30, 2011, 6:58 pm

guys if u are on 4.0.2 download this redsnow and browse for the 4.0 firmware and it should work on iphone 3g as far as i know

• Rabid_robotz April 20, 2011, 6:26 pm

redsn0w is a pile of WANK and does not work pretty much like most of the idev shit these speccy pricks produce. waste of time rather like this article which is SHIT rather like their fixes

• Mates Misak April 26, 2011, 10:24 am

FOR ME HELP !!!
    Unplug and restart you iDevice and put the .ipsw file into the redsnow folder !! There will be 4 files (boot-…,credits, file.ipsw and redsnow) turn the iDevice on and plug in. Now try to open Redsnow again and folow steps. NO ERROR MESSAGE NOW !!!! :)

• Antiplomos May 20, 2011, 5:20 am

This is the fix. Pay attention!!!!

1. download redsn0w_win_0.9.5b5-5 and iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore (4.0) 2. goto itunes, update to 4.0.1 3. run redsn0w and browse to iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore
    4. follow the redsn0w onscreen instructions 5. after reboot, run cydia

Again, pay attention. You are updating the iPhone to 4.0.1 but using 4.0 with redsn0w.

I use XP, iPhone 3G, originally in 3.0.1.
    No issues with activation (I have T-Mobile in US)

It seems redsn0w , sn0wbreeze, etc cannot recognize 4.0.1

Now… time to sleep!

• Orochimaru June 29, 2011, 9:43 pm

followed everything to the T, now my phone wont turn off, stuck in recovery mode, and is unable to be turned off. this is probably the most annoying device ever made.

• Orochimaru June 29, 2011, 9:47 pm

i need some help please. i upgraded iphone 3g software via itunes. the sim suddenly didn’t get recognized. followed all the instructions to the t, now the damn device wont turn off, is stuck in recovery mode, and still wont recognize the sim. I’m i the Philippines now and it worked just fine before i upgraded the software. this is probably the most annoying, time consuming, aggravating device ever. if it wasn’t given as a gift, i’d be glad to send it back to damn apple