Jailbreak iOS 4 Firmware on iPhone 3GS for Windows

A couple of hours ago we posted a tutorial on how to jailbreak iOS 4 on iPhone 3GS with PwnageTool 4.0. The tutorial works for those on a Mac since PwnageTool 4.0 only works on Mac OS X so we have come up with a solution for Windows users.

Now Windows users can easily jailbreak iOS 4 on iPhone 3GS without the need of PwnageTool 4.0; thanks to our custom-cooked and hacktivated firmware.

Jailbreak iOS 4 on iPhone 3GS for Windows

Follow these steps to jailbreak iOS 4 on iPhone 3GS

1. Download parts of the custom-cooked iOS 4 firmware file from the links within this txt file.
  2. Use HJSplit to combine the parts into one file i.e. iPhone2,1_4.0_8A293_Custom_Restore.ipsw
  3. Go to Apple website and download and install iTunes 9.2
  4. Now simply connect the iPhone with iTunes and restore the custom firmware file.

Thats it! On reboot, the iPhone will be hacktivated and ready for use. The custom iOS 4 firmware that we shared is already hacktivated, has 800 MB of root partition and no custom boot and recovery logo.

Unlock iOS 4 on iPhone 3GS

The unlock part is pretty easy and we have listed all the steps to unlock iOS 4 on iPhone 3GS with Ultrasn0w 0.93

Update: The step#4 has been updated as most users were experiencing Error 1604 and 1600 in iTunes. If you still encounter it while following the steps above, try DFU mode.

• Paul Areli June 23, 2010, 5:05 am

Does it contain the baseband upgrade

• Amir Ashraf June 23, 2010, 3:34 pm

no it doesn't upgrade the BB.

• Brandon Azzolini June 23, 2010, 5:14 am

ill try it right now, please let this work god

• Brianlvincent June 23, 2010, 6:15 am

Sooooo, what was the outcome???

• Brandon Azzolini June 23, 2010, 6:40 am

still downloading, im not a premium member on rapidshare, so i have to wait 15min between each download

• Brianlvincent June 23, 2010, 6:45 am

gotcha… its taking me like 20 mins, just for the first file. Please let me know how it goes. You are at least an hour ahead of me. Thanks in advance.

• Brandon Azzolini June 23, 2010, 6:51 am

for sure, im about 3 minutes away from the 4th file being downloaded, i just wish there was an easier way, like redsn0w for 3gs/4.0, not just 3g, and im getting the iphone for the day after tomorrow, i hope i dont have to wait another month for a jailbreak for that too :-/

• Brandon Azzolini June 23, 2010, 7:30 am

yup, error 1600, no good

• Guest June 24, 2010, 7:11 am

to fix error 1600 you put the iphone in Recovery mode and then you use the firmware restore

• Mark June 23, 2010, 5:24 am

If someone can join it together and confirms it works on 3gs, can they please upload it somewhere other than rapidshare? Thanks!!

• Emmanuel Vazquez June 23, 2010, 8:40 am

i have np uploading the whole file or separate files. Any places you guys want me to upload it.

• Domingo Lopez June 23, 2010, 9:26 am

Can you post the links to megaupload?

• thatguy July 3, 2010, 10:15 pm

can you sends me a link the whole file on megaupload?

• Djkokito1 June 23, 2010, 5:54 am

error 1600 this no woking

• Brandon Azzolini June 23, 2010, 7:46 am

SOB dev team!!! dont release something for just one OS and a few phones, release everything when its ready!!!

• Wea July 25, 2010, 6:59 am

Yo dumbass don't fucking complain, you want something done then do it yourself… fucking ass hole…

• Kenny M. June 23, 2010, 8:11 am

Yeah i was hopeful this would work but I'm receiving the Iphone cannot be restored (1600) errors everyone else is getting. Can you upload a good firmware?

• Emmanuel Vazquez June 23, 2010, 8:22 am

I got it too work but i can't make call or go on the internet. I am on AT&T. Did everything as stated. Anybody got a solution?

• Thiago Loureiro June 23, 2010, 8:31 am

try use blacksn0w and unlock your phone

do you have upgraded your phone with this ipsw?

• Emmanuel Vazquez June 23, 2010, 8:35 am

yeah worked perfectly expect that problem i stated, okay will try that thanks. OS 4 is kick ass.

• Emmanuel Vazquez June 23, 2010, 8:37 am

d u mean ultrasn0w?

• Thiago June 23, 2010, 8:39 am

Sorry! ultrasn0w 0.93 !

• Kris Johnson June 23, 2010, 12:44 pm

the same thing happened to me…

• Emmanuel Vazquez June 23, 2010, 8:42 am

WORKS PERFECTLY I have tried it and it works did all the steps and then you have to unlock even though you did have your phone unlocked before. NOW CAN SOMEONE GET HACK TETHERING CAUSE I NEED IT THANKS!!!!! if you guys want me to upload the files to some other places please suggest somewhere.

• Thiago Loureiro June 23, 2010, 8:46 am

Emmanuel, congrats!

• Thiago June 23, 2010, 8:48 am

Emmanuel, can you send me the firmware file? I upload to my website and publish there to everyone! Do you have MSN ? Or Skype.

• Emmanuel Vazquez June 23, 2010, 8:59 am

skype: emmanvazz il,usa

• Zaquetta23 July 7, 2010, 7:12 am

could i also get those files?

• basti July 2, 2010, 9:36 pm

hello sir gud day,i want to jailbrake my iphone can u give me the firmware that u have download in this site.thnx a lot. please!!!

• Nick July 20, 2010, 3:44 am

Hack Tethering? If you mean being able to use your iphone as a tethered modem, check out Mywi (I think thats right) – you might have to use Rock to get it though

• Josh June 23, 2010, 11:02 am

how to fix error 1600 ???

• Kris Johnson June 23, 2010, 11:22 am

do you have iTunes 9.2?

• Tim June 24, 2010, 4:45 am

i do have iTunes 9.2, when i tried to restore to combined version, theres an error message saying it couldnt be restored because the firmware file is not compatible.. PLEASE HELP!!!

• Guest June 24, 2010, 7:13 am

put it in recovery mode

• Ledvo79 July 7, 2010, 9:52 pm

How do you put it in recovery mode? thanks

• Haggardshredd June 23, 2010, 11:18 am

i still get an error 1600. pls help!

• Thiago June 23, 2010, 12:56 pm

error 1600 here to!

• Indsha008 June 23, 2010, 1:05 pm

It is working. Make sure you sync your iphone with iTunes 9.2 just before shift+restore with this custom firmware. Then use ultrasn0w from cydia to unlock.

• Thiago June 23, 2010, 1:12 pm

Please see if this is correct:
      Itunes 9.2

Plug iphone on PC
      Open Itunes
      Put in DFU mode (itunes will recognize)
      Then press shift and choose the firmware .

• Saad Hamid June 23, 2010, 3:00 pm

It works! just make sure you have iTunes 9.2 and restore it while the iPhone 3GS is in DFU mode.

• Igorv2006 June 23, 2010, 3:24 pm

Keep getting 1604 errors, any ideas? I highly doubt this will work with my 3GS that is already running factory 4.0.

• M Asadb June 23, 2010, 8:26 pm

is it compatible with bb 05.11.07 .. shud i take a risk or better wait for official release by dev team pls reply…

• Igorv2006 June 23, 2010, 3:20 pm

iTunes gave 1604 error when trying to do this with a 3GS with iOS4.0 currently on it.

• Amir Ashraf June 23, 2010, 3:22 pm

Superb… thank you very much developer (dev team) and espacially this site how make this .ipsw for us poor windows users. followed all steps and my phone is working like a charm
    iPhone 3GS 32, BB 4.26.08, Win7 Home Premium.

• M Z June 23, 2010, 3:26 pm

hi,compatible with 3GS NEW iBOOT?

• Donjuandmarko June 23, 2010, 4:40 pm

Also getting the 1600 error?

• Skyline_gtr89 June 23, 2010, 5:01 pm

One Question. On Monday i updated my Iphone from 3.1.3 to 4.0, it was never jailbreaked before cuz i always used my 2 Gen Iphone for jailbreaking.. but now that the 4.0 doesnt work on 2 G iphones i want to jailbreak my 3GS. Am I able to jailbreak even if it wasnt jailbreaked before???

• Jibreil June 23, 2010, 6:02 pm

For everyone having a 1600 or 1604 error. This is happening because the instructions for installing the firmware are given wrongly!

DO NOT put your phone in DFU mode, you can do it via Recovery or Normal mode and alas for all those who have mentioned Saurik's IP in your 'hosts' file, please comment or remove it as Saurik's server does not have the 4.0 SHSH for your phone.

• Porpup June 29, 2010, 11:45 pm

Thats work perfectly,Thanks, Good Man!!!

• Medo June 23, 2010, 6:30 pm

dfu mode did not work for me, but regular restore did

• Thiago June 23, 2010, 6:49 pm

in regular mode my itunes stuck in “preparing iphone….” and the phone get stuck in recovery mode, i have to recovery to original FW 4.0 to get back to normal =(

• Ian Cosnett June 23, 2010, 7:41 pm

I am Having the same problem. 3gs, factory 4.0 what ever route to restore, just gives me errors, 1604, 1602 and 1600. Tried iREB, Tried adding IP address into Host files, tried installing of a fresh laptop with fresh itunes, same problems.

Itunes 9.2 ANY IDEAS????

• Thiago June 23, 2010, 8:47 pm

same problem than Ian!
        i tried with fresh laptop win7 + itunes 9.2 and no success.

Error 1600 :(

Help Us!!!

• Ian Cosnett June 23, 2010, 8:58 pm

This is getting very annoying. Ive tried renaming the genuine upgrade files in the itunes folders, tried tricking itunes into thinking its the genuine one. Ive looked through the logs files. Somewhere in that files, somethings going back to apple to authenticate the firmware version. Ive also tried older genuin firmwares, 3.1.3 and the same errors…… I tried disabling the internet connection, and the errors just come sooner…. There has to be a fix/ crack for tis. I dont understand why it works on some and not others.? You CAN ONLY use 9.2 with this handset and firmware. Does this problem occur on MACs?

• M Asadb June 23, 2010, 9:42 pm

itunes shud be 9.2 and then while ur fone is on , in itunes press shift and restore , locate the firmware file and u r ready to go , i did the same way and didnt get 1600 error.

• Vendadthemps July 7, 2010, 6:39 pm

an iPhone that gets 'stuck' in recovery mode can easily be kicked out of that mode with RecBoot

• guest June 23, 2010, 9:13 pm

this worked for me: 3gs, old bootrom, preserved 4.26 baseband, windows 7. working t-mobile! DO NOT use DFU mode- just restore regular restore with this custom firmware

• M Asadb June 23, 2010, 9:52 pm

IT WORKED PERFECTLY PEOPLE,REMEMBER to have itunes 9.2 and recover in normal mode by pressing shift and restore then .. all done , ur software will be restored .. i have done and unlocked it too … my fone is iphone 3gs , Baseband was 05.11.07 and its still the same after restore .. ultrasnow worked brilliantly too .. THANKS A LOT FOR THE GUIDE AND THIS WEBSITE ,, LOV YOU ,, ENJOYING MY ios4 NOW ..if u have same specs of fone as i hve got , dont wait for it , just go dont be afraid :)

• Pinoyqt11 June 23, 2010, 10:42 pm

please help me im stuck..:(

• Fv June 23, 2010, 11:22 pm

when i restore it,, my iphone just have the itunes logo and is not working what do i do?but in the itunes it sayd preparing for……blah blah..what do i do please help..:(

• Michael1204 June 24, 2010, 12:44 am

Which bootroom version do u have ? Im on new bootrom and I have never gotten the proces to work with restore … Is this still only for old bootrom models ???

Thanks in advance

• M Asadb June 26, 2010, 12:41 pm

i have old bootrom

• Nanor123 June 24, 2010, 1:25 am

worked 100%…..been trying to find a way to this for 2 days…spread the word internet!!!…..just do what M Asadb says above….finally!…wooohooo!!

• Guest June 24, 2010, 1:32 am

help me please .:(

• Nanor123 June 24, 2010, 2:05 am

mate i just followed the instructions above…

download the files in the txt file in the instructions.
        then google hjsplit and download it.
        find the location of the files downloaded and then open hjsplit and combine them all.
        then connect your phone to itunes and hold the shift button and select restore in itunes.
        it will ask you to locate the file, just go to the location where the combined file is located and select it.
        itunes does the rest,

BDW, i had jailbroken 3.1.2 blackra1n. and the baseband 05.11.07.

best of luck guys.

• Nanor123 June 24, 2010, 2:45 am

everything worked a charm

i cant load my jailbroken apps back onto my phone…any ideas?

• Shree June 24, 2010, 12:05 pm

You can install appsync 4.0 from hackulo.us in cydia to achieve this

• Ledvo79 July 7, 2010, 11:19 pm

I have same phone, 3gs 05.11.07 / 3.1.2 – just make stupid jailbreak (used Blackra1 then used Sprit)…Must restore to 4.0. Now I get stuck, can't downgrade to 3.1.2 (new bootrom). I followed same step to jailbreak for 4.0 but every time I click on restore, its says “Not compatible…” Any ideas, please help! thanks

• Mohak_goyal July 8, 2010, 9:44 pm

ipod goes into recovery mode dis way..nd itunes stuck at preparing ipod for install…help!!!

• Superspoon06 July 20, 2010, 6:09 am

That happens because your ipod might be 3 generation
        And 3g doesnt have a jailbreak yet……
        IF NOT
        TRy getting another version of the beta!!!
        That might Work!!
        HAppy BReakin

• ET July 16, 2010, 9:40 pm

I think it only works for those who already have a jailbroken iphone

• B Wall June 23, 2010, 10:06 pm

anybody upload these anywhere else besides rapidshare?

• Medo June 23, 2010, 10:35 pm

i played with 4.0, not much support for it yet. most of the stuff i tried installing make it crash. something even managed to break the multitasking. I'm back on 3.1.3 and restoring my stuff with rock.

people that still want to try this, you can't go from official 4.0 to this one. you have to be jailbroken on a previous fw 3.1.3 or lower.

if you are on the official 4.0 fw, then you need to downgrade using sauriks server, then jailbreak, and then apply this fw.

if you have never been jailbroken on the lower firmwares and have no shsh backups in cydia / sauriks server. then you are SCREWED. at least for now

• Michael1 June 24, 2010, 12:51 am

Well I have SHSH´s locally …. but did not use them for restore back to 3.1.3 from IOS 4 GM.

I guess you will have to be jailbroken on a previous firmware like you said – but download 3.1.3 firmware shift + restore – choose the 3.1.3 firmware once you have downgraded Itunes will give error 1015 or something just click Ok. If you get errors like 1600 or above you can try it again if nothing else works restore to IOS 4.

Download Irecboot for Mac or Windows. If you are unable to run the application due to .net framework 4.0 needs to be installed – open the folder for irecboot here you will .bat files – choose exit.bat run it and Iphone should start as normally. Which means you will get out of recovery mode – I dont know which versions this works on but I did it on my 3gs 32 gb MC133 model and jailbroke with spirit again.

Hopes this help people stuck in recovery mode.

• Ado June 24, 2010, 1:30 am

I successfully upgraded to 4.0. what i was saying was that there wasn't a lot of support for the apps in cydia and rock. they aren't compatible yet. that's why i went to 4.0

• Medo June 24, 2010, 1:31 am

MEDO = ADO

• jutr June 24, 2010, 1:57 am

How long did it take you to jailbreak???

• Guest June 24, 2010, 1:39 am

mine is the old one.please i really need your help.:(. .ive done the same thing but still..it's error

• jutr June 24, 2010, 1:25 am

Does anybody know how long it should be restoring iphone software, since my iTunes stoped moving the process line and iphone process also stoped at half of line??? Any body any idea???

• Greheherth June 24, 2010, 1:44 am

So there's absolutely no way for a person on legit 4.0 to use this? FUCK ME. i had cfw3.1.3 yesterday and saw that i could upgrade and i got fucked… damn it.

• Mikael Krohne June 24, 2010, 1:49 am

Worked perfect! Did not put in DFU, just the regular restore in iTunes 9.2.

Thank you so much!

• jutr June 24, 2010, 2:01 am

how long did jailbreak procedure take??? more than 1 hour???

• Nanor123 June 24, 2010, 2:33 am

no bout 7 or 8 mins..

• trav June 24, 2010, 2:03 am

so does this work if you did a facory upgrade to 4.0 via itunes on a 3gs?

• Saad Hamid June 24, 2010, 2:09 am

It seems that for most users the DFU mode didn't work and caused errors so step#4 has been updated to do a normal restore. Thanks folks!

• Sohail June 24, 2010, 2:14 am

saad bhai i am sohail from faisalabad. restoring 4 custom but error 1600 how i fix this plzz tell me

• Nanor123 June 24, 2010, 2:44 am

everything worked a charm

i cant load my jailbroken apps back onto my phone…any ideas?

• Sokinlu June 24, 2010, 3:43 am

normal restore??? by pressing the power button and home button etc..

• Nanor123 June 24, 2010, 4:19 am

follow my instructions in earlier post..

• Ryan Dodge June 24, 2010, 2:30 am

The way I think it may be able to be done, is do a shift restore to (regular) 3.1.3, then do a shift restore to the custom 4.0 firmware.

• Michael1204 June 24, 2010, 3:37 am

Well could somebody tell me what version of model they are using for this ? Im not sure that 3gs mc models will work with this … And that might be the issue here for people unable to get it to work. MC models ARE A PAIN regarding jailbreaks and downgrades for a long while after others are able to get it to work.

Mine is MC model MC133 which is according to what I have heard the new bootrom – can any1 tell me if they have a MC model and having issues with this and even more let me know if they were able to upgrade with the custom firmware on MC model without issues ???

Much appreciated

Michael :)

• Nanor123 June 24, 2010, 4:00 am

my phone is an mc model and it worked like a charm..

• Michael1204 June 24, 2010, 4:02 am

Nanor123 was it 3gs model aswell ???

• Nanor123 June 24, 2010, 4:10 am

yep, 32gb 3gs black 😉 …i dont understand how people are having problems, other that forgetting to install appsync through cydia to reinstall my jb apps again, i had no probs…

• Omar June 24, 2010, 3:50 am

is not working on 3gs giving error 1604 any ideas ?

• Michael1204 June 24, 2010, 3:58 am

I think we will have to wait this one out for a few days still Omar.

You should be able to downgrade to 3.1.3 for now – else follow the guide here to if problems with recovery mode :

Else if you need to downgrade to have jailbreak until jailbreak is available for windows on 3gs new bootrom you can try these steps.

1. download 3.1.3 3gs firmware.
      2. download Irecboot for Windows – Make sure to install Libusb as in Windows XP compatibility mode ( right click .exe file properties and then compatibility tab )
      3. Open Itunes – Pres Shift + Restore button.
      4. Find the firmware you downloaded ( step 1 )
      5. Restore will proceed and give you error 1015 ( this is normal just click OK ).
      6. Now open Irecboot folder you downloaded.
      ( If unable to run the application directly due to .net framework 4.0 install dont worry ) you can click on the .bat file called exit.bat and your iphone will then start as normal.
      7. Go to settings on Iphone and general – check out firmware version and baseband.

This worked for me on Iphone 3gs 32gb MC model MC133 with BB for 4.0 GM.

Hope this helps people wanting to downgrade until IOS 4 jailbreak is delivered to Windows – Im counting on GeohotZzzzz to deliver this as soon as possible :) cant wait :)

• Chetan June 24, 2010, 12:43 pm

dude same situation here but can't come out of recovery mode even with ireboot, any advise

• Sokinlu June 24, 2010, 12:50 pm

my iphone is recognized both from my pc and itunes but says that the sim card is not supported. any ideas?

• Michael1204 June 24, 2010, 1:05 pm

Have you been jailbroken before ? I think the above procedure only works on Iphone which have been jailbroken previously. I jailbroke 3.1.3 upgraded to 4.0 GM version ( same baseband as the “original” 4.0 version – but wanted to downgrade again as there was no jailbreak delivered. I used the above procedure on a Windows Vista 32 bit computer without issues.

• Aaron June 24, 2010, 4:16 am

Worked for me on 3GS, modem firmware preserved at 5.11.07. However, I had to use ultrasn0w to get any service and I'm on AT&T.

Camera shoots much faster on 4.0.

• B Wall June 24, 2010, 6:38 am

ok got mine to work. Old bootrom, Model MB and 05.11.07 firmware. 3gs

Followed all these steps but did a normal restore not DFU. Then run ultrasnow 0.93 even if you are on att. Et voila!

Also for those that need tethering, mywi is not iOS4 compatible yet, but pdanet works better for me on 4 then it ever did on iphone os 3.x.x!!

• guest June 24, 2010, 7:42 am

guys i did everything wat michael said..the shift and restore then find the firmware and still my iphone just have the itunes logo but in the itunes in my laptop it says extracting smthing like that then later on it will stop and it says error please guya help me.:((((((((

• Michael1204 June 24, 2010, 1:19 pm

which error did you get ? 1015 or 1600 ?

If 1600 error you can try the downgrade again – else you will need to restore to IOS 4.0 – also you will have to have your iphone jailbroken before and most likely have SHSH´s saved either locally or on Sauriks Server.

• Junior928 June 24, 2010, 8:37 am

I have a 3gs that i foolishly upgraded to ios4. If i do a restore will it restore the old baseband as well as the os or am i stuck with 5.13.04

• Shree June 24, 2010, 2:27 pm

You cannot downgrade the baseband but you can restore to previous firmware versions (3.XX)
      The baseband downgrade feature is available for 3G and not 3GS

• junior928 June 24, 2010, 2:36 pm

I do not have any shsh on file. This phone has never been jb before. if i could get it back to 3.1.3 it would still have the 05.13.04 bootrom

• Michael1204 June 24, 2010, 5:53 pm

I was able to downgrade from 4.0 GM back to my original baseband 3.1.3 baseband with the steps mentioned in the guide. But unsure whether the 4.0 full version will help.

• J0tmaster June 24, 2010, 8:43 am

Michael1204 I've a 3GS MC model, new bootrom and modem firmware 05.13.04 and I can't restore the jailbroken (custom) version… I get 1600, 1604, … error (N)

I think we have to wait :(

• Michael1204 June 24, 2010, 1:10 pm

my thoughts exactly – I have been trying to get more information about this – And I think that the custom firmware does not work if you have been jailbroken with Spirit – As people with mc models have been able to do this. PwnageTool and Snowbreeze which creates these customer firmwares only supports 3g and 3gs on old bootrom – not MC models and you will have to have been jailbroken previously but not with Spirit. Thats why some people have issues.
      Im waiting for Geohotz to release his jailbreak – just hopes it will arrive soon !!! 😀 So im staying on 3.1.3.

• Andrew James Chua June 24, 2010, 2:18 pm

Can anyone confirm if it'll work for 3GS with model MC133PP and modem firmware version 05.13.04?

The phone used to be running 3.1.2 and was jailbroken with blackrain. Now I'm running a clean version of iOS4.

• Michael1204 June 24, 2010, 4:42 pm

Well according to Dev Teams page – Snowbreeze and PwnageTool creates custom firmwares for IOS 4 buuuuuut MC models are not supported yet as far as I understand. Only Old bootrom and as I suspect the file being created with one of the above tools, this will not work on MC models – 3gs. But you do fullfill one need – you must not be jailbroken with Spirit which I am and therefore have downgraded from GM 4.0 and waited with installation of 4.0 version.

• Andrew James Chua June 25, 2010, 7:09 am

Thanks. I guess I still need to wait until someone gets to jailbreaking the new bootroms on the 3GS.

• Michael1204 July 1, 2010, 3:26 am

No problem Andrew – Im sure we will all hear about the jailbreak once its out.

• junior928 June 24, 2010, 4:56 pm

Do ih8sn0w or the dev team have any plans to bring out a version that will jb the 3gs on the 05.13.04 “mc / new bootrom” or are they holding off untill the iphone 4 is more widely distributed. Both jailbreaks have ommited to include this combination of model and bootrom ?

• Michael1204 June 24, 2010, 5:53 pm

• Vishal Salunkhe1 June 24, 2010, 10:30 pm

i m on ios4 model MC132ZA Modem firmware 05.13.04 will it work on my iphone 3gs……pls do reply…

• booth June 25, 2010, 12:08 am

I have an Iphone 3gs that has never been unlocked or jailbroke. I have updated it to apples IOS4 from ITunes 9.2. I have a windows computer, is there a way to jailbreak this phone yet?

• Leomichaelides June 25, 2010, 1:17 am

I have a jailbroken iphone 3GS on 3.1.2 which was stuck a month ago when i turned it off and couldnt jailbreak it with blackrain. So i decided today to restore to iOS 4 and try to jailbreak it. I did something stupid though. I tried to do it with snowbreeze and instead of using the customed ipsw i used the original ipsw. Does anyone know what are the consequences for doing that besides that im getting the message “No sim card installed, Insert a valid sim with no pin lock to activate iphone”. Ive also tried the ipsw that is mentioned here but i get the 1600 error. Any ideas?

• Chrisg July 13, 2010, 11:01 am

im having the same problem…if anyone knows how to fix this that would be amazing! im wondering if i have the iphone in dfu i can downgrade to 3.1.3 and jailbreak with blackra1n then restore to the custom 4.0?

• Guest June 25, 2010, 4:02 am

Is there a checksum for the HJ-Split IPSW file?

• Fahim June 25, 2010, 6:04 am

i am on iphone 3gs basebangd 5.13.04, bootrom 6.4 and MC model. I tried this step. ended up getting error 1604. How to resolve?

how do i jailbreak and unlock my iphone?

• Kedwin13 June 25, 2010, 10:06 am

• Weiyu_kuai June 25, 2010, 11:45 am

I am a new to this. I have a 3GS model with old bootrom (iboot 359.3) but never jailbreak before. now it is on Offical iOS4 and BaseBand 05.13.04. If i want to jailbreak am I out of luck?

• Michael1204 June 30, 2010, 1:58 am

I think you will need to have been jailbroken before. Check out one of the search engines like google, bing or yahoo for redsnow or pwnagetool – they have guides explaining what you will need to have to upgrade to jailbroken IOS 4. I think I read something about jailbroken before – as the baseband has been upgraded and the above mentioned tools does not upgrade the baseband – therefore I think it is not possible.

• Dobbinstm June 25, 2010, 12:14 pm

does this work for the 3gs new bootrom? I have a newer 3gs and just want to know if it will work.

• Michael1204 June 30, 2010, 1:59 am

No official jailbreak has been delivered for 3gs mc models yet. Only the old bootrom devices.

• Jackdriscoll777 June 25, 2010, 5:32 pm

does it have to be jailbroken before?

• Michael1204 June 30, 2010, 2:00 am

Yes you will need to have been jailbroken before.

• Bubba Genn June 25, 2010, 9:15 pm

iPhone 3GS

Summary: Currently, PwnageTool only works on previously jailbroken 3GS devices with the old bootrom.

* If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS with the OLD BOOTROM and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak then you can create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore with your jailbroken recovery mode.
    * If you have an iPhone 3GS with the NEW BOOTROM this is NOT supported by PwnageTool 4.0 PwnageTool 4.01

dev team……http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

it cant be unlocked/jail broken yet! sorry

• Srinath June 26, 2010, 12:04 am

not working dude.. error 1604

• banoni June 26, 2010, 10:35 am

SO FLAWLESS! it worked on my 3GS! thansk so much! no more error 1600.

• Paez June 26, 2010, 2:08 pm

How did you bypass the error 1600??

• Raymondx3 June 26, 2010, 2:23 pm

are you on new bootrom mb model ?

• banoni June 28, 2010, 1:31 pm

my phone is mc model, but i think have an old bootrom because the serial no. (4th and 5th number) is less than 40 based on other discussions if serial no. is less than 40 it's an old bootrom. for error 1600, just make sure that your on DFU mode. I also observed that error 1600 is somewhat the same with error 2 when your on recovery mode.

• Jatin_agrawal1987 July 2, 2010, 10:07 am

how did you do that

• Fab June 26, 2010, 9:08 pm

Brilliant!! Worked perfectly on iPhone 3gs (old bootrom)

• tim June 26, 2010, 10:04 pm

if u cant find ur networ try doing it with ur sim card out of the phone thats what i do

• gen_chuba June 26, 2010, 11:24 pm

it worked like charm for me…+ ultrasnow as unlock! Thanks for sharing the custom ispw.

Phone Details: iPhone 3Gs (Old Bootrom); 3.1.2 JB-Blackra1n/Blacksnow);

• Gigicu June 26, 2010, 11:27 pm

It worked fine for me. I have the iPhone 3GS 32GB black version MC137LL. It was jailbroken on 3.1.2 with 4.26 baseband running on Tmobile. Got the custom firmware (unactivated), shift-restored with iTunes 9.2. placed an old ATT sim, opened itunes, restored from backup, it was waiting activation (dismissed). Unlocked with ultrasnow, placed tmobile card in it and got activated, Worked like a charm.

• Gigicu June 26, 2010, 11:29 pm

P.S. Got the custom firmware from sinfuliphone website

• Ciao Mafia June 28, 2010, 2:43 am

This is an old bootrom right?

• Jeezy Lendy June 26, 2010, 11:55 pm

ok… look.. my problem is im in DR and my phone came from US… but came with a att sim card. is a 3gs 16gb. updated in itunes to ios4 and works normal. its already jailbroken. BUT i dnt have cydia on it to UNLOCK it. I used Redns0w to put cydia but when ask me to locate my current .IPSW keeps sayinq its not compatible and its the same one i used to updated in itunes… any ideas how can i put cydia on it? remember… itz already jailbroken Thank you!!

• Bogdan_xboy June 27, 2010, 12:50 am

I must say that I have the same problem . That's because you have the new bootroom on 3Gs. I am waiting a Spirit or something that can jailbreak the new bootroom . Ultrasn0w and Pwnagetool it doesn't work .

So if you upgraded your phone at iOS4 , you lost any chance at this moment tot jailbreak your phone ! ( I made the same mistake )

• Ja1rpez June 27, 2010, 8:19 am

Thnx ever body work perfectly on 3gs

• Sk8r2k9 June 27, 2010, 3:57 pm

Didn't work for me think u hav to be jailbroken first… any help would be much appreciated!

• Ja1rpez June 27, 2010, 7:25 pm

do you have the old or new bootrom?

• nastynasty June 27, 2010, 6:34 pm

ive joined the files but itunes just sits after putting iphone into restore mode (cable on screen)
    could you please help ???
    i mc mode ? is that my problem ???

• Ja1rpez June 27, 2010, 7:26 pm

you should do it without putting it in restore mode worked for me

• Michael1204 July 1, 2010, 3:32 am

That depends if you have the new bootrom 369.3.2 or the old bootrom 359.3.

There are guides to find out which one exactly you have. But I wont give you a link as the administrators on the page dont like referals it appears – tried linking to guides but my messages just wont show after. Try one of the search engines :)

I sounds like your in recovery mode after trying to restore … did you get any errors like 1604 or something like it ? You could try using the recboot guide available on the internet. To get the Idevice out of recovery mode. Then it should start normally if just stuck in recovery mode. The FW is already on the device but the device will need to get out of recovery mode to work obviously. Try recboot thats my advice.

• Jamesvaldez007 June 27, 2010, 6:46 pm

it worked but now i dont have any service please help?

• Ja1rpez June 27, 2010, 7:22 pm

Didn't u read the instructions use ultrasnow from cydia and then you'll have service again

• Tek004r June 27, 2010, 8:59 pm

I have an iphone 3gs 32 on 4.0 with 05.13.04

tried in recovery mode and got error 1604
    tried in dfu mode and got error 1600

i had to recover to a regular ispw for the time being
    any advice on jailbreaking it?

• Ezekielblack June 29, 2010, 3:28 am

I have an Iphone 3gs mc model which had 5.11. etc and I just finished restoring to this custom firmware 4.0 so I wanted to let you all know that it worked for me. Finally after 2 days of trying. I for one had no luck using snowbreeze, but these instructions and custom firmware finally did the trick. Hope this helps someone else, because I sure could have used some before.

• Michael1204 July 1, 2010, 3:34 am

You probably have the new bootrom which is currently not jailbreakable. Us with 3gs MC models with newer bootroms will have to wait a little AS USUAL :( heheh

• Emmanuel Vazquez June 28, 2010, 8:55 am

DOES anybody KNOW if THERE is A tethering HACK yet?

• Ted June 28, 2010, 5:59 pm

Iphone 3GS (Model: MC131B baseband 05.11.07) running os 3.1.2 Jailbroken with Blackra1n.
      Itunes running version 9.2
      tried restore normal mode i.e. left shift plus select restore.
      pointed at cunstom 1.4 OS.
      Itunes extracts software
      Itunes then goes into “preparing iPhone for restore” for 5+ minutes.
      Fails with error 1604
      Tried restore from DFU mode and again ran into Error 1604.

Should this work on this version of 3GS?

• Liz_7 June 28, 2010, 7:10 pm

I try to jailbreak my Iphone 3gs with the steps you mentioned but it keep saying that the firmware is not compatible . work with firmware 05.13.04?

• Webstyr June 28, 2010, 7:29 pm

I had a stock unjailbroken iPhone 3GS. Then I stupidly upgraded it to iOS4.0 and now I can't jailbreak it. Here is the present config:

Baseband: 05.13.04
    BootRom: 359.3
    Firmware: 4.0

I created a new ripsaw file using Pwnage 4.01 and then tried upgrading it using the custom ripsaw. When I tried it in DFU mode I get the 1604 error and when I tried it in Recovery mode I get the 1600 error. Any insight as to why I can't get this to work would be much appreciated. Thanks!

• Michael1204 June 30, 2010, 2:04 am

You will have to be jailbroken before you use the guide here. If not jailbroken previously no luck you will have to wait for new jailbreak methods like Geohots Pwned4Life / Limera1n or other possible methods.

• Paul_A99A June 28, 2010, 9:21 pm

DOES THIS JAILBREAK WRK ON 3GS NEW BOOTROM, currently jb'd with Spirit ?

• Michael1204 July 1, 2010, 3:37 am

No it does not… Check out guides regarding customer firmwares for IOS 4.0 – If spirit jailbreaked no luck. If on new bootrom no luck. Dev Team has a guide explaining what is currently possible.

• Anonimus June 28, 2010, 11:33 pm

Plz help me.i have a iphone 3gs neverlocked running on 3.1.2.if i update it on itunes (and if its working) how can i jailbreak him? i searched the internet and i dont find something for my iphone.( it have the new boot room and the model start with MC)

• Paez June 29, 2010, 3:26 am

You can't yet mate, hopefully in the next few days will be available until then just wait.

• Elrasheed June 29, 2010, 3:59 am

• Michael1204 June 30, 2010, 2:05 am

Sure but you will need to jailbreak your device before upgrading to IOS 4 – and do not use spirit to jailbreak as this will not work with the IOS 4 jailbreak methods out there at this time.

• Anonimus June 29, 2010, 2:53 pm

i recently find on the internet sites to update iphone 3gs(and other versions),jailbreak and activate with just $29 to version 4.0? are those sites true?

• Kepler June 29, 2010, 6:34 pm

Don't even THINK of paying for those sites they are bogus they promise u an unlock which will never work. stay tuned official free unlocks should be released soon. i heard spirit unlock for 4.0 will be out soon

• Michael1204 July 1, 2010, 3:39 am

No you will most likely experience the following – You pay the cash and gets a message that there is currently no jailbreak for the device but they are working on it and will help you once its out. Just wait a little longer and there will be one for free.

• ALGhamdi June 29, 2010, 4:03 am

i tried to do it i got both 1604 & 1600 after trying with DFU mode
    now i'm restoring my iphone to the legal copy waiting for better jailbreak
    thanks :) it was a nice experience

• Jaacke June 29, 2010, 8:21 am

It doesnt work with most of the iPhone 3gs. Do not use it!!!! I tried 4 different iphone 3gs NO ONE WAS JAILBREAKED AND UNLOCKED. STILL ERROR 1600….

• Levi June 29, 2010, 1:31 pm

still error 1600…dont know why…

• guest June 29, 2010, 11:15 am

if i have a iphone 3gs and i have 4.0 coz i accidentaly update it to 4.0, does this work for me?b4 i had a 3.1.2 jailbroken by blackra1n..

• Michael1204 June 30, 2010, 2:08 am

You can try downgrading to 3.1.2 again if you have SHSH blobs saved locally or on sauriks server. Then afterwards jailbreak with blackra1n or other possible jailbreak methods. Then use the above guide – but it will not work if you are on new bootrom version 359.3.2 old bootrom is 359.3 MC models are most likely new bootrom you can see if your is mc model under general in your settings menu.

• Kcparran June 29, 2010, 7:12 pm

i'm still getting error 1600 in dfu mode

• Donkey Jay135 June 29, 2010, 9:20 pm

yes this work for me i was trying on dfu but didnt work just have to put recovery mode and thats it

• Donkey Jay135 June 29, 2010, 9:21 pm

the fastest way just google custome firmware 4.0 and there is one in megaupload

• Rayhan June 29, 2010, 10:14 pm

Did it work for some one?

• Rayhan June 30, 2010, 1:02 am

I have four iphone 3gs reset to ios4 with modem band 05.13.07. Please update me if there's a method to jailbreak it. thx

• guesst June 30, 2010, 8:06 am

says firmware file is not compatible for me

• JR June 30, 2010, 9:31 am

i have a 3gs with mc model…i used to be jailbroken until i upgraded to 4.0…will this work..? coz im about to try it

• JR June 30, 2010, 9:55 am

yep got error 1604….this DEF DOES NOT WORK FOR MC MODELS…

• Wisam June 30, 2010, 4:54 pm

Well Done , Great job , thanks a lot working perfect for me

• Poo June 30, 2010, 5:03 pm

this doesnt even fucking work, nobody listen to any of these guys that said it works they are probably fake accounts. if you try to do this shit all that will happen is a screen that says “preparing iphone for restore” and it will delete everything off your iphone but wont jailbreak it. thanks a lot you fucking dick.

• Timoththyduym June 30, 2010, 5:40 pm

yeah your right…this is fucked

• PARMDINHO June 30, 2010, 5:45 pm

• Tmatyev June 30, 2010, 5:54 pm

we are all interested, can u send us a link or tell us how can we do it.. i'd appreciate, thanx

• Parmdeep June 30, 2010, 5:54 pm

Everyone i have found way to jailbreak the iphone 3gs on the new mc model on the firmware of 4.0 for windows. i have tried this and it works 100%. please contact me to ask.

• whtupplaya June 30, 2010, 6:53 pm

Hi parmdeep can u please help i hve a 3gs with 05.13.04 firmware…please tell me how can i jailbreak it

• Petri July 1, 2010, 12:00 am

parmdeep ,tell me how can I jailbreake… ???… my iphone is 3gs os 4.0 with MC new bootrom 05.13.04…………PLEASE HELP

• Michael1204 July 1, 2010, 3:50 am

I believe parmdeep is joking around with you people … if there was a jailbreak out for 3gs with new bootrom you would probably find it on the internet already :) Do not trust people stating something that sounds to good to be true. Also why ask people to mail him/her instead of sharing the guide right here ????? If it sounds to good to be true … IT PROBABLY IS !!! DONT BE NAIVE AND BELIEVE EVERYTHING PEOPLE TELL YOU !!!

• Elrasheed July 1, 2010, 2:00 am

my iphone is 3gs MB model 32g bb 5.12.01 is there any possiblity to update to iso 4.0 and jailbreak it ?? Ok forget that is there any jailbreaking tools other than the Spirit?? tell me please because many people they just talk and imtate an old ideas. this is the challenge if you are on its size please show me – I donot love toooooooooooo much talk but I think its impossible right now!!!!

• Michael1204 July 1, 2010, 3:46 am

With MB models you should be able to upgrade with the jailbreak guide above. But you have to be jailbroken previously and not with SPIRIT JB. Dev Team has a guide mentioning what is possible currently.

If not currently jailbroken then use jailbreak blackra1n for 3.1.2 FW or for 3.1.3 previous version of PwnageTool or Redsnow. There should be guides for this out there.

For others with 3gs MC models with new boootrom do not use the guide above this will not work. There is currently no jailbreak out for this device on IOS 4. We will have to wait a few more days as usual …

There are guides to check if your 3gs iphone is new or old bootrom just use search engines for it … you know google it. Also people keeps asking same questions which has been asked a lot of times already … read the forum through you are likely to find your answer there already :)

• Velibormx July 1, 2010, 9:37 am

Hi all,
        I just want to say that this actually worked for me.
        I have 16g 3gs MC model (so it's new bootroom) and the 3rd, 4th and 5th digit of my serial number is ***924******.

This is how I did it:

First you have to make sure that you have jailbroken 3.1.2 FW, not jailbroken with “Spirit”, preferably by blackra1n for 3.1.2.
        If you are not already on this FW please be on it before you do anything.

1. Make sure you are on 3.1.2, jailbroken with blackra1n (this worked for me) or anything OTHER then “Spirit”. Preferably “Blackra1n” (this worked for me).
        For people downgrading from official ios4 to 3.1.2 you will need to have you blobs saved on cydia server. iTunes will give you 1015 error and iphone will be stuck in the recovery mode, but dont worry just use “RecBoot” (google it to find it, and make sure you have .net framework 4 installed on your computer otherwise you will not be able to use this) to kick it out of recovery mode. Your iphone will reboot and you will be on 3.1.2 the just use blackra1n to jailbreak it and follow the next steps now.

2. Make sure you have the the latest iTunes.

3. Download parts of the custom-cooked iOS 4 firmware file from the links within this txt file. Some people had a problem with part 001 of this custom FW as only a part of this file was downloaded which resulted in an error, iTunes said FW not “recognized”. Make sure they are all downloaded fully. Please check the size after downloading.

4. Use HJSplit to combine the parts into one file i.e. Please make sure you use HJSplit to combine all the parts. If you use anything other the HJSplit it will result in error for some reason (dont know why?)

5. Now simply connect the iPhone with iTunes and restore the custom firmware file.

After this you phone will not be activated, so it will be not be connected to any carrier.
        Please download ultrasnow from Cydia (this repository is already added to cydia, so dont add it again otherwise you will end up having a little annoying error each time you open cydia) and then cydia will ask you to reboot your iphone. Reboot it and you will be connected to your carrier.

One more thing, in the setting you will not be able to see “notifications”, but dont worry just install one of the apps that support push notifications. Usually when you open that app it will ask you if you want to set up “push notification”, you can press either “yes” of “no” it really does not matter, but now you notification icon will show up in the settings. This worked for me guys, so if you still have a problem with this you will have to search the web for other solution.

Let me know how you went. I hope this will work for you guys, especially for MC models as we have been having a problem to get jailbroken.

• Pnassif88 July 1, 2010, 3:38 am

how send to me

• Vickyloveslife July 2, 2010, 5:27 am

can you pls. let m eknow how to do this as my phone got stuck in recovery mode

• Sambashiva1 July 28, 2010, 5:36 am

Hi Parm, I have a 3GS 32GB, need some help to get this to IOS4… would you be able to help me with that.

• Henry July 1, 2010, 4:05 am

not working, get the error code 1600 even in DFU,recovery and normal

• CD July 1, 2010, 10:57 am

its not working! uggh! please help me, please. i've done it in DFU mode and then it said error 1600 and when i tried it without DFU mode it said error 1640. and btw i have the new bootrom if that helps.
    please help me fix this problem

• Velibormx July 1, 2010, 11:07 am

Did you have a clean 3.1.2 jailbroken with blackra1n? . If not restore to clean 3.1.2 (so no any other apps or even cydia installed. JUST clean 3.1.2 jailbroken with blackra1n and without DFU mode. Let me know how you went.

• CD July 1, 2010, 11:17 am

i'm confusedd….
        i use to have 3.1.3 3gs new bootrom and then it didn't have any jailbreak so after the spirit one came out i jailbroke it with that but it still didn't have an unlock so when the 4.0 came out they had an unlock so i unlocked it and then i thought why not upgrade to 4.0 so i did and i found out that they don't have a jailbreak for 3gs 4.0 new bootrom window user and its been at least a week so yeah.
        and if you have any idea to jailbreak 4.0 or go back to older firmware please tell me!
        thank yoou and please reply sooon?

• Velibormx July 1, 2010, 12:08 pm

When I said no cydia installed, I mean dont have anything installed from cydia yet once you back to jailbroken 3.1.2 FW with blackra1n. Then try again to restore to the custom firmware of ios4. Follow the instructions that I posted before.

• SandM July 11, 2010, 10:58 am

You have the old Bootrom. Your 4th and 5th numbers are less than 40.

• Danielt104 July 1, 2010, 11:07 am

I really need help! Please somebody help me! I upgraded my jailbroken iPhone 3GS to 4.0 earlier today, I didn't look at any of these sites. Anyway, after I upgraded it it took away my jailbroken stuff, but not the apps. Anyway, I realized that my 3G wouldn't load my internet. I turned off my phone and tried again, and it still didn't work. I have no idea what to do now. I upgraded my jailbroken iphone to 4.0 and now my 3G won't work. I really need help. And YES I am totally sure that it isn't because my location is messed up. It has to do with this update and I need help before I can't use my phone anymore.. PLEASE COMMENT ON THIS

• Velibormx July 1, 2010, 11:22 am

Just reinstall ios4 to get rid of the apps and install them after. You might try rebooting your phone instead turning if off. Just press power button and home one at the same time till the apple logo appears. Release buttons as soon apple logo appears. It should work if you just reinstall the ios4 again, would be best bet to get your 3g working again. Just remember if you installed the custom firmware as suggested from this site you will have use ultrasnow to unlock your phone first and that will also bring your 3g back as well. I hope this helps

• Elrasheed July 1, 2010, 11:43 am

donot forget , usually you have to put in mind that no unlock unless you jailbreak your device
        because the unlock tools usually come throught the jailbreak door. jailbreak first then open the door for the unlock tool to enter your mobile for to do its job. I wrote this because many of us use just to update and they think they can unlock with consideration that thier devices is included in the new software with their hopes. please be carefull specially the owners of 3gs

• Velibormx July 1, 2010, 11:56 am

Yes I agree. If you read it properly I said “if you installed the custom firmware as suggested from this site you will have to use ultrasnow to unlock your phone”.
        This means that you will need to go cydia to downloaded “ultrasnow” and get your iphone unlocked. I posted this before in the instructions and I just hated to repeat this step again mate.

• kt0101 July 1, 2010, 11:46 am

I have accidentally upgraded my 3GS to 4.0 through iTune, can I still use this method to jailbreak it?

• Vasanthan Devaraj July 1, 2010, 1:42 pm

Is this will ne good for MC models

• Endeneu July 2, 2010, 2:20 am

I still had my 3Gs on jailbroken 3.0 with redsn0w. I had backed up my SHSH via Cydia months back. My phone hung on installing an app the other day and I couldn't get it out of the logo screen no matter what methods I used. After pulling an all nighter I had to give in and upgrade to 4.0 so I'd had a functional phone for work the next day.

So now I'm trying to research methods of jailbreaking from 4.0 so at the very least maybe I can get some of my broken apps data back…

I've got a MC model but it has the old bootrom. It's from week 32.

I tried the sn0wbreeze custom build as well as this one and I always get error 1600 in recovery mode and 1604 in DFU mode. Tried downgrading to previous 3.XX builds, no luck.

I have tried changing the hosts file to access Saurik's server but I've also used iReb to access SHSH files and it tells me I have none! I recall quite clearly seeing the green acknowledgement text at the top of the Cydia screen after doing a backup so I have no clue why it's not showing up as being accessible..

I'm guessing after all this, I'm probably just SoL. Either way, this above method didn't work for me.

• Nathsgames July 2, 2010, 4:21 am

This is not working! 32GB 3GS on iOS4, no matter what I do, even DFU mode, tells me Error 1604…. I have tried everything and it doesn't work….

• Welshy July 2, 2010, 9:14 am

This won't work if you have Official iOS4.
        If you have your HSHS you can downgrade to 3.1.3 and then upgrade to this.
        Otherwise you're like me… Buggered.
        If you put it into DFU mode you get error 1600 and in Restore mode error 1604.

• Nathsgames July 2, 2010, 9:49 am

Thanks mate, that explains it, then WTF is the title of this thread, Jailbreak iOS4 if it can;t do it!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Welshy July 2, 2010, 9:15 am

How do you tell what week it is?

• iphoner July 28, 2010, 2:20 am

I have a similar model to yours. JB on ios 4.0 the other day. I got error 1600 when i tried to restore the snowbreeze custom firmware. So i tried to shift restore when not in DFU more & it worked… no errors.

• Hung July 2, 2010, 6:02 am

I tried both DFU and recovery but still getting 16xx errors, 3gs, MC models, old bootrom. Vista 64 bit. I need help please!!!

• Elrasheed July 2, 2010, 3:32 pm

3gs MC and MB model BB 5.12.01 running IOS 4.0 right now no jailbreak , so be a way and stay at 3.1.3 this is for BB 5.12.01 or you will got smooth iphone brick.

• Sliver3342 July 3, 2010, 1:12 pm

HEY ! can you put it on mediafire instead ?

• timwhitley July 4, 2010, 11:04 pm

3Gs on old bootrom model MC136LL firmware 05.13.04, never jailbroken…got 1600 error…if anyone has any advice, please hit me up

• Snyukeyev July 4, 2010, 10:36 am

Will this Jailbreak with the ios 4.0 firmware. I just bought a 3gS and it had 4.0 updated from itunes.. if any of you guys know how to jailbreak/unlock it with the new bootrom; please contact me!! ASAP

• Iksree July 4, 2010, 2:15 pm

I have an Iphone 3GS (januari 2010.. with the ios4 from aplle installed , and it has never been jailbroken or unlocked.
    I can't seem to get this thing jailbroken by the way described here… I dl'ed the files, merged them, tried normal restoring, and restoring in DFU mode… and every time it bugs out with the 1604 or 1600 error..
    I have Itunes 9.2
    Is there anybody who can give me a hint / clue what to do? or is it possible that it fails on phones with a newer bootrom?

• Kimgarrick July 4, 2010, 6:21 pm

If you had bothered to read the comments, no it doesnt work on the new bootrom

• Avo July 5, 2010, 7:55 am

I have 3GS IOS 4.0 05.13.04, can I jailbreak using this tool? Actually I have tried compile the firmware with just Cydia Installer but iTunes keep failing on me regardless if i'm in Recovery Mode or DFU mode. In Recovery Mode, it just stuck at Preparing iphone for restore and failed with error 1604 or 1618. In DFU, it failed immediately with error code 1600. I'm using a Mac Snow Leopard with iTunes 9.2 installed. Please helllllpppp……

• Emil Janesten July 5, 2010, 3:15 pm

I got 1600 error and when I switched to another computer I got 1602 and then second time 1600. But then I tried with a regular recovery mode and then it worked. :-)

• Illmicill July 6, 2010, 8:32 am

Is there a specific folder where I need to put the custom restore file in? How do I choose the custom restore file when I perform the restore? Thanks.

• Michaelakopyan July 7, 2010, 4:40 am

make sure its all in 1 file using the HJSPLIT u must have itunes 9.2 installed put iphone in recovery mode then on itunes where its says RESTORE hold SHIFT and press RESTORE and then search for the custom IPSW file and let it restore

• Fdoman2000 July 6, 2010, 5:15 pm

Just want to be grateful for the hint for the 1600 error for my iPhone 3gs, which I resolved with the comments from this log after a week of trying to solve this problem. The answer for me was simple instead of using the DFU mode a restore mode did the magic. Thanks a lot, people.

• cang July 6, 2010, 10:59 pm

i also get that 1600 error message for my iphone 3gs with mf 05.13.04 and old bootrom. I kept getting 1600 error in DFU mode and 1604 error in recovery. how come yours work and not mine?

• Michaelakopyan July 7, 2010, 4:40 am

• Zaquetta23 July 7, 2010, 7:12 am

could i also get those files?

• Vendadthemps July 7, 2010, 6:39 pm

• Ledvo79 July 7, 2010, 9:52 pm

How do you put it in recovery mode? thanks

• Ledvo79 July 7, 2010, 11:19 pm

• Huntatwork July 8, 2010, 3:26 am

Error 1604 in normal mode and then in DFU mode I get 1600

• Coolsexyrider July 8, 2010, 10:04 am

Jailbreaked and unlocked my iphone 3gs 3.1.2 blackrain……..to ios4….everythings working fine….except for ibooks it doesnt download any books……it always says sign in required tap continue and sign in to continue syncing your booksmarks with other devices…after 20 seconds it asks again…doesnt accept my itunes password…but it works on app store…any1 having same problems????
      need to put ibooks on iphone!! help!

• Boranf July 9, 2010, 12:30 am

its giving me Error 1600

• Curlyhaireditalian July 9, 2010, 12:35 am

Yeah this doesn't work I keep getting error 1604

• Jumme July 10, 2010, 4:06 am

Sorry for asking such a noob question.
    Im a new iphone owner, and bought a second hand iphone. How can I know if it was prevously jailbroken?
    Former owner definitely installed iOS 4 on it.

• ET July 16, 2010, 9:45 pm

you can download a program call tinyumbrella.. install it and run it to see if your phone has the SHSH saved in cydia. If you dont know how then just search around on how to use tinyumbrella. If the program says that they have your shsh in file then you can downgrade it to that firmware and then jb and unlock it.

• Nasser H July 10, 2010, 5:46 pm

Hi man. I did download HJSplit for windows XP and I have all five parts from Rapidshare downloaded. I installed HJSplit and it said put in part one and it will automatically find the other parts and combine them together. I got a file which is 300 + MB and not 800 MB as it is mentioned here. I tried to restore holding shift and clicking restore in the newest version of iTunes. I got error 1604. I did the restore when my iPhone was in DFU mode.
    It is iPhone 3GS black and it is MC modell BUT! The fourth and fifth number is 1 & 8 -> 18. So it must be the one with old bootroom as I have been reading on the net. I have iOS 4.0 … I could jailbreak it before with Spirit and everything went well but I cannot do restore as it is mentioned here. What should I do? Does anyone have the ipsw that actually worked for them?
    Would be great if someone helped / Nasser

• ET July 16, 2010, 9:49 pm

i think these custom firmware is only good for those who DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak it before.. Now you can try to downgrade your phone back to the older version (if you saved your shsh on cydia).

• I_luv_rock_dude July 12, 2010, 12:01 pm

it will not restore on itunes gets error

• Linda July 14, 2010, 4:07 am

when will it be possible to jailbreak iphone 3GS 4.0 05.13.04…with bootrom?

• Linda July 14, 2010, 4:08 am

with new bootrom i mean

• Tracy July 15, 2010, 3:56 am

I have a 3 GS with 4.0 and it has never been jailbroken. Will these instructions work with my phone?

• Lazycrazy_8wonder July 15, 2010, 2:49 pm

Hello Team,

I have IPHONE 3GS 32GB black
      MODEL – MC133B
      VERSION 3.1.2
      Firmware – 5/11/07
      Its jailbreak with blackrain . can anyone give me exact step & method to upgrade it to IOS4
      also let me know how IOS 4 work . do we have any issue with multitasking. please help

• Pankaj D Karamchandani July 17, 2010, 3:10 am

Same specs except 16 gb, please help out cause I dont understand why people are getting error 1604

• Quetta July 16, 2010, 2:16 am

Hey guys I need help please I have 3gs 16 gb i believe its an old boot room its MB model with 4.0 firmware and 05.13.04 base band I just bought it as a second hand phone so i dont knw if it was jailbroken is there anyway to find out and I tried the above method it gives me 1600 and 1604 errors in dfu mode as well as normal mode please if somebody could guide me I would really appreciate that thanks

• Lee July 16, 2010, 6:32 am

I have a 3GS 16gb running iOS 4.0. Other specs include;

Model: MC131X
    Firmware: 05.13.04
    iTunes: 9.2

My iPhone was previously jailbroken using Spirit when I had OS 3.1.3 but the accidental update to iOS 4.0 obviously wiped that. Will this jailbreak work for me?

I'm hoping so as iOS 4.0 is a piece of shit.

• Ali July 26, 2010, 9:39 am

yeah i have the same exact specs as you and im wondering the same thing

• steve July 18, 2010, 7:46 pm

Itunes won't even recognise the firmware, just says it's incompatible… using 9.2 here.

• steve July 18, 2010, 9:32 pm

ok one of the files was corrupted, redownloaded that and now it recognises the file but I'm getting the the same 1600/1604 error as many here do. Tried the process in normal, recovery and DFU to no avail. Back to 3.1.2 + spirit for me.

• Efdae July 22, 2010, 11:08 pm

This does not work in recovery mode or DFU but thanks for trying

• sniper6972 July 23, 2010, 4:26 am

guys i did it on my 3gs what i did was that i downloaded those files with jdownloader because its faster and while it was downloading i restored my iphone to 3.1.2 with my shsh blobs stored then jb with blackrain rc3.then what i did was just shift restore the custom firmware that i downloaded here.
    if you have skype my name is sniper6972 i will help you out i did not do dfu mode nore recovery mode and now i have ios4 with cydia on once again i installed the ios4 from a jailbroken 3.1.2 firmware please contact me in skype i like to help out

• Tyranter July 23, 2010, 9:03 am

Does the version of itunes have to be 9.2?? All versions I can find are (example not exact number.) Does the version have to be 9.2 exactly or should picking up current version from apple site work for this? If needs to be 9.2 can anyone point me in direction of a copy?

• RZ July 24, 2010, 8:29 am

i have iphone 3gs mc model (new bootrom) tried it and works perfect. jailbreak on ios 4.0. works great no problem what so ever. thank you very much. and also i can unlock my iphone too. so thats great news too.

• FD July 24, 2010, 5:19 pm

I have new iphone 3GS (new bootrom) ios 4.0 never jb…Can i j it ? becoz i have heard that it cannot be done as of now …do let me know if you more details about the iphone…

• Oneandonly703 July 26, 2010, 10:55 pm

This entire thing is bullshit!!!

• RZ August 1, 2010, 4:38 am

how is it bullshit, when it works on mind.

• Katrinahern July 27, 2010, 3:01 am

I'm wondering the same thing. I know my phone has never been jailbroken, so I'm trying to figure out if this is possible. If it is, can someone point me in the right direction?

• Jair Perez July 30, 2010, 2:01 am

does anyone have problems like not getting notifications on ios 4 jailbreak

• CrucifiedGnat July 30, 2010, 5:16 am

So I'm having problems with this, I just got this 3GS and it was previously jailbroken, so I restored it like an idiot and now it has the 4.0 software. I'm currently trying to use this method but how can you tell if you had an old or a new bootrom, and also I have downloaded all the link and combined them but everytime I try to restore it, it just goes back to DFU mode and it gives me error 1604. Please help me. =/

• Igec123 July 30, 2010, 12:37 pm

does this method work on Iphone 3GS jailbroken on 3.1.3?

• IOS4 3gs 32gb newboot rom =( July 30, 2010, 1:57 pm

Can anyone verify if this will work with new boot rom 3gs 32gb black I've tried every possible steps and none work,,previously jailbrocken with blackrain but it messed up so I decided to update to 4.0.1 for me to have it working then downgraded to 4.0, getting errors like 3194 if downgrading, 1604 if using custom 4.0 dfu normal or recovery mode, Any help will be appreciated. Its so hopeless pls let me know =(

• Vish Anil July 30, 2010, 3:36 pm

hjsplit is not found

• Cassie Koz July 31, 2010, 7:19 pm

i have an iphone 3gs.. i had it jailbroken using spirit when it was on the 3.1.3 firmware.. i accidentally updated it to 4.0.1 when it came out.. i have successfully downgraded it back to firmware 4.0. i tried following the steps above and it hasn't been working. my question is.. could this be because i had it jailbroken before? or because i'm using itunes 9.2.1? where can i go to download itunes 9.2? everytime i go to the website, it just takes me to the 9.2.1 download.. im also running 05.13.04 if that matters at all? haha someone please help! i've been trying to find a way to jailbreak my phone again for a while.. it's driving me crazyyy!

• Ehab July 31, 2010, 9:29 pm

I've tried this custom firmware, but iTunes gives me Error 1604. my iPhone is the new bootrom.
    What can I do?
    Also, it wassn't jailbroken before.
    Please help me out

• Ehab July 31, 2010, 9:37 pm

I also tried it without Tiny umbrella. It gives me error 1600.
    Any ideas?

• Ehab August 2, 2010, 1:32 am

Is there any news from the Dev Team?

• Hussankhan01 August 9, 2010, 4:40 am

i wanna downgrade my iphone 4 back to iphone 3. how is it possible

• RainGigel August 10, 2010, 10:01 am

I tried in Recovery mode and gave me 1604 error and when I put it in DFU mode I got the 1600 error is there a way to UPGRADE or DOWNGRADE the IPhone 3GS MC models to 4.0.x ??

• Bigbird858 September 12, 2010, 7:43 am

I fixed the error 1600 by turn off the iphone and connecting it to the computer while holding the home button (recovery mode). After my phone was in recovery mode i was able to upgrade.