10 Dollar Laptop, Reality or Fiction?

OLPC Project

We are definitely aware of the OLPC : One Laptop Per Child Project which features 100 Dollar Laptops and its aim is to bring computer knowledge and Technology atmosphere in the third world countries. But the OLPC project is soon to find a competitor from India which features 10 Dollar Laptops.

The $10 Laptop

Recently the OLPC Project pushed its price per laptop from $175, from $100 and rejecting this offer India’s HDR Ministry claims that it can take this price to as low as $10 which is a topic of great debate so as in whether it is going to be a reality or fiction?

$10 Laptop : a Reality or mere Fiction?

The India Times reports that the manufacturing for the $10 laptop has already been pushed down to app. $50 but the manufacturing of mere $10 laptop still deems to be fiction as no manufacturer has yet agreed to a such low price.

OLPC is no doubt already on the move and it is a matter of time since every child in the third world nations shall have a laptop of his/her own but this $10 Laptop Project by India is going to take a minimum of 2 years for its accomplishment. Till then it remains a mere fiction for all.

[via : TgDaily]

Comments

comments

• Shankar Ganesh May 5, 2007, 1:02 pm

Well, there’s no information on the configuration and a laptop for Rs . 450 😮 : I can’t image that. Let’s wait and see.

• Rishi May 5, 2007, 6:36 pm

It is true, :mrgreen: it will be for rural states where people cant evenn afford the OLPC’s 100$ laptop. This $10 laptop project will have linux and will be based on Ananda computer systems. But I doubt it will work ➡ ! 👿

• Dj Flush May 5, 2007, 7:09 pm

Thats what I m am concerned about Rishi ➡

It seems a very cheesy offer but not practical :sad:

Even the OLPC project has raised its per laptop price then how come one can get a laptop for mere 10 Dollars?

Fiction I say :mrgreen:

• Ken Xu May 6, 2007, 6:50 am

Wow! $10 only?

I think this will be a fiction story. It’s impossible! except the producer want to bankrupt themselves! ahaha 😀

Or may be the laptop can only be used for 10 minutes, after that, It will burned itself down??!!

👿

• Ehsan May 6, 2007, 6:55 pm

i dont think its possible even if it is it will be too late and it will be too sh** to have any basic jobs done 😥

• Thilak May 7, 2007, 7:55 pm

This is nothing more than Fiction. Just a battery would cost nothing less that 1000 bucks and WTF can they build out of 410 bucks lol 👿

• Dj Flush May 7, 2007, 8:30 pm

lol Nice theory Ken rest all :mrgreen: Ditto as Thilak :smile:

• Terry Botham May 31, 2007, 2:53 am

That’s a great article. It’s interesting what you say about the impact of OLPC (One Laptop Per Child). It will help children in developing countries around the world. But it will also change the world of laptops forever. The marketpace will benefit, and I’m sure that every home in the developed world will have one. What is becoming clear is that the OLPC is a not the solution but a starting point for development.

This project needs to be handled in a sensitive way. Different needs and cultures must be addressed properly. Only then will the OLPC project be a success. Right now is an exciting time for technology, particularly mobile technology covering laptops, mobile phones and PDAs. Also the web and they way they all work with the web. I get my laptops and peripherals from Portable Universe and I can thoroughly recommend them. The best thing for people to do is to talk to them, let them know what your needs are (both current and future) and they will come up with the best laptop for you. I also get blank DVDs there for my backup.

• Golam Mosihuddin Sikder March 8, 2008, 2:33 pm

I dont think its possible

• Nicholas Bi July 30, 2008, 3:09 am

I don’t think this plan is practical based on the present technology. based on my knowledge, the cheapest small mono-LCD (black-white) for cellphone would cost like 3~5 USD (that kind of LCD has been mass-produced for many years).

If the Indian government is going to fund this project, that’s no problem, but if the Indian people really want to keep the cost under 10 dollars, they really need to work very hard to make great achievement on the technologies (which seems still not available to any other countries)

• Nicholas Bi July 30, 2008, 3:16 am

I’m sorry for being arbitrary,I should not draw the conclusion that this project is not practical without knowing the definition of the “laptop”.

• Jack July 31, 2008, 6:27 pm

Hmmm… Maybe in 10 yrs todays OLPC will be available. Like how digital watches came down in price!!

• amare alamrew August 27, 2008, 9:15 pm

i am realy happy to this plan to every child to get one laptop realy !it is a fiction to ethiopian people who loves laptops mostly!if it is true i will congratulation!

• amare alamrew August 27, 2008, 9:17 pm

realy it is nice to all african child to get it with this fair price

• amare alamrew August 27, 2008, 9:21 pm

I want to thank fore this company to fair prise and portable design .and it is good for every people who wants to go with technology !ya…… realy nice news for me !but i am afraid not to be fiction ?

• Olivia January 31, 2009, 11:23 am

Considering that India is tops in terms of brain and talent in the IT sector, and the fact that an Indian developed the Intel Pentium processor, I think India can do it, lets just wait and see.

• Dan February 13, 2009, 10:21 am

Yes, actually India’s done a lot of stuff that us in the west couldn’t imagine and had to later just open their mouths wide and gape. So there’s no reason why it can’t be done. It’ tough, but it ain’t impossible. So i’ll go wit olivia.

• kane February 15, 2009, 7:08 am

I want a 10 dollar laptop

• Jwala March 13, 2009, 2:28 pm

Why not a $ 10 laptop ?

Things which we thought NOT possible a couple of centuries are possible now.. for eg. mobile phones when seen on Star Trek were thought fiction which became a comman reality these days.

However I think they have to drastically change the technology to be able to achieve their goal.

However, there is a more important thing that they need to target. A laptop whether $10 or $100 is not a ticket for complete education. A complete mechanism for child education has to be started to be able to uplift India

• Rickey Kipfer January 27, 2010, 6:36 pm

I purchased an Acer from Best Buy for $200 , I think India could do a $50 for sure.

• Rickey Kipfer January 27, 2010, 11:36 pm

• Pink Dell Laptops July 29, 2010, 6:05 pm

I really hope it's more than fiction because the idea of spreading technology to the poorest people in the world is simply fantastic!