An unlock tool for the iPhone 3GS has been much anticipated by Apple fans since its release and even though there was a tool named Purplerain to unlock the iPhone 3GS, the fact that it wasn't backup up by the iPhone Dev Team didn't bring relief to many hearts.
However! The new Redsnow fully supports unlock for iPhone 3GS with any carrier running on iPhone 3.0 and can be downloaded at ThePirateBay.
Latest version is now dubbed as Redsnow 0.8. Once downloaded, follow the following steps:
- Download the iPhone 3GS firmware provided by Apple [Part1 | Part2]
- Extract the rar-archive with WinRar or UnrarX such that it makes up into one file.
- Open Redsnow and follow the onscreen instructions to Jailbreak the device.
- Once Jailbroken, fire-up Cydia and add repo repo666.ultrasn0w.com
- Now search for 'Ultrasnow' and install it.
- Restart your iPhone 3GS.
Now I don't really have an iPhone 3GS (at least for now?) but I am pretty sure this method will work out for most of you. Please let us know in the comments if it works.